The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-22 09:12:27

Geoff 42

Daedalus upgrade with OpenRC

While my desktop uses Runit, my laptop has OpenRC. I had tried adding openrc-init, but had rolled back to starting it with SysV init and then having OpenRC taking over. This has been working nicely. I was wondering whether the changed init systems would play nicely with the upgrade to Daedelus. I started with my laptop/OpenRC. I was careful to add the non-free-firmware entries to sources.list.

The upgrade went smoothly and I am happy to report that the system still boots up nicely using OpenRC. I will need to check out the updated version of openrc-init, to see if that is fully sorted out.

Geoff

#2 2023-08-23 08:47:28

Geoff 42

Re: Daedalus upgrade with OpenRC

I have now managed to boot using openrc-init. I had an option in grub's linux command line

init=/sbin/init
which I edited to be
init=/sbin/openrc-init

I did this when the grub menu appeared and with the main Linux option selected, I typed "e"
which throws me into the editor. Having made the above edit, typing  ^X then proceeds with the boot process.

This proceeded smoothly and at first everything seems normal, but I will do some more checking,
which will have to include the shutdown, which is where I think there was a problem with the old version, where a file system may not have been unmounted cleanly. But so far so good...

$ cat /proc/1/comm 
openrc-init
$ cat /proc/1/cmdline 
/sbin/openrc-init
$ ps -p 1
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:00 openrc-init

Geoff

#3 2023-08-23 11:49:23

Andre4freedom

Hello,
That's really good and helpful information, thank you.
Could you possibly post your future experiences with open-rc init?
I'm interested. I always use open-rc and I like it, but I always stuck to the default init program (InitSysV).
Have a great day.

#4 2023-08-23 15:16:50

Geoff 42

Andre4freedom wrote:

Hello,
That's really good and helpful information, thank you.
Could you possibly post your future experiences with open-rc init?

Thank you for your encouragement.

I have now performed a few shutdowns and have managed to get a photo of the screen, using my 'phone!
This shows that it fails to unmount both /run/user/1026 and /home, although I have not found this in the log files.
I also spotted that it was recovering at least one of the file systems on booting, although, again,
I have not found this in the log files. /run/user/1026 was a tmpfs, so probably would not need
to be recovered.

I think that this is the sort of problem I found some time ago and which I reported in earlier posts.
I must find them again!

Geoff

#5 2023-08-23 15:27:41

Geoff 42

I have located a couple of related threads.

My ramblings start at :-

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2788

and then the part about shutting down the file systems continue at :-

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3371

Geoff

Board footer