The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-03 17:21:55

ReadyTo

The Perfect instalation ( Help! )

Hello guys!,

Im ready to migrate to Devuan! Ive been reading a lot, and installed it on Virtual Machines. Now the challenge is going to be real, Im installing it on bare metal.

My WorkStation:

CPU T5610 Dual Xenon E5-2620 v2
RAM 2 x 8GB DDR3 ECC
GPU Nvidia Quadro K2000 - 2GB.
1 - Storage
  --  256GB SSD  --> SYS
  --  500GB Blue HDD >> SYS
  --  1000GB Blue HDD >> Backups

TLDR
----

This PC i bought it con XMAS at 300USD, it came with Windows 10 working horrible. Tried to play several games but the last ones lagged a lot, the OS was running laggy too, then I installed Debian XFCE on the 500HD with a LVM installation, it worked as I had to upgrade my GPU.

Last month I installed bookworm, and download the last version of drivers 470 on nvidia official page and with GNOME works like a charm! So now that I dont need to upgrade things or try more things I would like to eliminate systemd from my machine and learn.

My applications I use are minimal: Firefoz , Telegram, Discord, Element, HexChat, Barrier, Mullvlad client, and wine. I tried to search for the package query page and all packages are unless Mullvlad,but i got a patch in github.

My doubts are this:
1 - I have a 250GB disk size with qemu and lxc images it doesnt get to confy, so how should my partition sheme be to get a good performance out of my little SSD and my 500HDD?
2- Can I install Nvidia-470-tesla-driver just like Debian?
3- What type of init system shoudl I choose? SysV, OpenRC or Runit?
4- Understanding I will be doing a lot of not such good practice is there a program I can make images (snapshots) if some of my systems got corrupt or broken?

I alrready have my Devuan_4.0.3_chimarea_desktop.iso in a USB, so Im waiting for some doubts.

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

RTO!

#2 2023-08-04 00:50:17

delgado

Re: The Perfect instalation ( Help! )

I would
(1) invest in a new small SSD - just 20 bugs, it's worth it.
(2) use the the nvidia drivers from the non-free devuan repo (not the installer offered by nvidia)
(3) sysV-init is default

The counterpart to debian bookworm is devuan daedalus (but not yet released as new stable), the current stable release is still chimaera.

#3 2023-08-06 01:03:08

zapper

Re: The Perfect instalation ( Help! )

Not possible at all.

There is no perfect install. In fact, most everything has no perfect that I know of.

big_smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer