The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-07 11:40:31

nauved-rex

[SOLVED] Beowulf Netinst Lacks Wireless Firmware iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

Solution:

Early during the installation, I am asked to provide a medium containing iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode: Yes or No.

Answer No: the firmware file gets installed automatically!

- - - - - - - - Original Post - - - - - - - -

Installing ASCII was no problem, but when I tried to install Beowulf, I received a request for a media containing this file:

iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

There are several workarounds for this:

1. Download the ASCII netinst.iso, open it up, and copy this driver to an external media.
2. Search for the driver online, download, and copy.
3. Copy this file, or indeed, the entire firmware directory from my Chromebook to the media.

I chose option #3.

I mention this issue only in case this was an unintentional oversight.

James

Last edited by nauved-rex (2021-01-07 14:25:36)

#2 2021-01-07 11:48:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Beowulf Netinst Lacks Wireless Firmware iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

nauved-rex wrote:

iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

That's not a "driver", it's a firmware file. Perhaps consider changing the thread title. The file is supplied by the firmware-iwlwifi package.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-01-07 12:14:46

nauved-rex

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
nauved-rex wrote:

iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode

That's not a "driver", it's a firmware file. Perhaps consider changing the thread title. The file is supplied by the firmware-iwlwifi package.

Thanks, I changed the title.

Sounds like a catch-22: the firmware-iwlwifi package can be installed after the fact. The Beowulf netinst.iso asks for this firmware file right up front, immediately after asking me to choose the language. Without the file, you can't install the system, because you can't get online to choose a mirror.

Perhaps one of the larger installer ISO's contains this package. I nearly always choose the netinst.iso so I can "roll my own" and not get a lot of stuff I don't want or need.

As I pointed out, this firmware file was/is available in ASCII, but not Beowulf. And I showed 3 workarounds. So this is not a complaint but a suggestion to the developers in case they wish to add this back to the netinst.iso.

James

#4 2021-01-07 12:30:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The non-free firmware is supposed to be present on both the live and netinstall ISO images, at least according to https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

Can you provide the exact URL from which you downloaded the image?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2021-01-07 12:41:18

fsmithred
Administrator

You missed one option:

4. Ignore the question and continue. The driver will be installed automatically unless you choose expert install and exclude non-free software.

If we remove that question, then those people who need certain broadcom firmware will be stuck.

I can confirm that iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode is in firmware-iwlwifi in jessie, beowulf and chimaera.

#6 2021-01-07 13:55:10

nauved-rex

fsmithred wrote:

You missed one option:

4. Ignore the question and continue. The driver will be installed automatically unless you choose expert install and exclude non-free software.

If we remove that question, then those people who need certain broadcom firmware will be stuck.

I can confirm that iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode is in firmware-iwlwifi in jessie, beowulf and chimaera.

Thank you! I shall be happy to give this a go on a practice disc, like a USB, and then report back.

James

#7 2021-01-07 13:58:20

nauved-rex

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The non-free firmware is supposed to be present on both the live and netinstall ISO images, at least according to https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

Can you provide the exact URL from which you downloaded the image?

Yes sir:

https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/d … aller-iso/

I downloaded this file and opened up the iso, there was a firmware folder, it lacked the file I was searching for. However, Admin says it's there and will get installed after I skip the question. I'll try this and let you know.

James

#8 2021-01-07 14:32:11

nauved-rex

YES!!! Thank you, Head-on-a-Stick and fsmithred.

Even though I'm asked for the firmware file, the installation continues just fine, even if I choose Advanced Install. Note: I didn't encounter an option to omit this non-free firmware file individually. However, a little later, in the advanced install, I can choose not install non-free, just like you guys said.

I see now I misunderstood the intent of the question. The installer was not saying, "I need something I don't have", it was asking if I wished to install my *own* firmware file, which (not knowing any better at the time) I did. smile

Marked as [SOLVED].

James

Last edited by nauved-rex (2021-01-07 17:21:22)

Board footer