The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-03 17:42:57

rich43

Updating ASCII to ASCII 2.1 point release

Hi all. I'm an avid reader but not a poster. Now I'm stuck over updating to 2.1.

I've used Debian for a number of years and am used to updating Debian releases using their announcements
and apt's update, upgrade (or full-upgrade), using apt/aptitude..

So--- is there an approved way to update 2 to 2.1 in situ, or must I rebuild the systems from scratch?

Keep up your excellent work with Devuan,
rich

#2 2019-12-03 17:59:21

Roger
Website

Re: Updating ASCII to ASCII 2.1 point release

I have similar experience, and had the same question, but I routinely use aptitude (once a week or so) and my system transparently changed from 2.0 to 2.1 -- my only minor problem was updating the mechanism for reporting the release.

I think there is only more effort necessary when the major release number changes, e.g 9 to 10 in Debian; I assume that will happen with Devuan when 3.0 comes on line. Debian does hold back upgrades from stable until the announcement of a minor release change.

#3 2019-12-03 18:05:28

fsmithred
Administrator

The reason for the point release is to release updated installer isos and live isos with newer software that's in the repo. If you regularly do 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade' or the equivalent, you're already there.

Note: If you're upgrading for the first time an ascii that was installed when ascii was still in testing (around two years ago), you might run into some trouble.  (Happened to me last week.)

#4 2019-12-03 21:22:41

rolfie

rich43 wrote:

I've used Debian for a number of years and am used to updating Debian releases using their announcements
and apt's update, upgrade (or full-upgrade), using apt/aptitude..

If you have been using apt update/upgrade regularly since installation, you have an up to date ASCII installation, which only has very minor differences to the 2.1 point release. i.e. if you have selected openrc during your initial installation, you still got it and its up to date. If you want to install it now and change to using it, it is more work to do.

Under normal circumstances there is no point in re-installing with 2.1 if you are happy and have not totally screwed your system. This point release has the charm that when you do a fresh installation, you have an easier access to openrc and you have much less updates that need to be installed vs a 2.0 installation. Thats it.

I'm running two PCs at home that have been installed with a 2.0 beta which is my wifes PC and mine that was build after the release of 2.0. Both work fine and are up to date without re-installation. 

rolfie

#5 2019-12-05 12:25:47

rich43

Thanks to all.

Yes, regular aptitude works its wonder!

rich

Board footer