The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-07 15:27:58

Excalibur

Installing openrc.

Hello,
       I have installed Devuan on my laptops and PC. I was under the impression that during the installation process you would be given the option to select your 'init' system. I use the 'Expert' install option and I could not find an option that allowed you to select an 'init' system. Have I  missed something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Excalibur (2019-03-07 15:29:07)

#2 2019-03-07 15:52:42

dxrobertson

Re: Installing openrc.

I am not sure about the live install iso, but on the netinstall iso; there is a checkbox list of stuff to use/make available during the install somewhere early on in the install.  One of the options is choose init system, or something like that.  Selecting this will present an option at the end of the install to select init system to install (sysvinit, openrc).

Anyway, its a safe and easy install for openrc on a running system:

apt install openrc

I believe the install may display something about running a bunch of the daemon shutdown scripts.  I ignore this and just reboot once openrc is installed.  Sorry for my vague answer, its been a while since I performed this install.

#3 2019-03-07 16:23:52

Excalibur

dxrobertson wrote:

I am not sure about the live install iso, but on the netinstall iso; there is a checkbox list of stuff to use/make available during the install somewhere early on in the install.  One of the options is choose init system, or something like that.  Selecting this will present an option at the end of the install to select init system to install (sysvinit, openrc).

Anyway, its a safe and easy install for openrc on a running system:

apt install openrc

I believe the install may display something about running a bunch of the daemon shutdown scripts.  I ignore this and just reboot once openrc is installed.  Sorry for my vague answer, its been a while since I performed this install.

Thanks for your reply. I Looked for the openrc option that you have mentioned, but I could not find it. It was there when I used earlier install media.
Anyway, I'll do as you suggested and install using apt.

#4 2019-03-07 18:57:16

rolfie

I can confirm that it is present on ASCII CD/DVD 1 and the Beowulf netinstall dated Feb 19.

The selection is only possible in expert mode as mentioned before. Look for "Load installer components from CD". In there tick the second choice from the top: "choose init". The selection itself happens as one of the last topics in the install before reboot.

Rolf

#5 2019-03-07 21:11:59

Excalibur

I've just finished installing openrc using Aptitude on my Thinkpad and everything is working fine.
Thanks for the help.

#6 2019-03-08 15:52:49

Ogis1975
Website

Hello. Please check this thread.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#7 2019-03-09 19:55:13

Excalibur

Ogis1975 wrote:

Hello. Please check this thread.

Hello Ogis1975,
                      I read with interest the thread you have directed me to. I do not use openrc in parallel mode. So far it seems very stable. However, it is as you have stated no faster than sysv-rc. My main reason for installing openrc was just curiosity.

#8 2019-03-12 18:22:56

aurocha

Hi,

Just installed devuan and plasma is working flawlessly.
I noticed that, in spite of choosing openrc, the init is actually init, not openrc-init.

Tried to boot the system with init=/sbin/openrc-init and the system says it can't start dbus (for sddm), hence it doesn't start networkmanager, etc, etc, etc.

Question: Is using openrc-init possible with devuan and can we get a full working Desktop Environment?

Regards,

Last edited by aurocha (2019-03-13 10:40:34)

#9 2019-03-12 20:21:21

dxrobertson

aurocha wrote:

Hi,

Just installed devuan and plasma is working flawlessly.
I noticed that, in spite of choosing openrc, the init is actually init, not openrc-init.

Tried to boot the system with init=/sbin/openrc and the system says it can't start dbus (for sddm), hence it doesn't start networkmanager, etc, etc, etc.

Question: Is using openrc-init possible with devuan and can we get a full working Desktop Environment?

Regards,

Devuans (actually Debian) implelentation of openrc does not use openrc-init.  It still uses init to start things off.

Whats in /etc/init.d/rcS, does it contain something like this:

exec /sbin/openrc sysinit

This is the startup of openrc.

#10 2019-03-12 21:05:48

rolfie

On my ASCII I see the following in /etc/init.d/rcS:

exec /etc/init.d/rc S

while the Beowulf installation on my secondary PC tells me:

set -e

I thought my ASCII was running openrc too, but it is not installed when I look in synaptic. I must be mistaken, maybe fooled by the many Virtual Box trials I did.

Rolf

#11 2019-03-13 10:44:20

aurocha

Devuans (actually Debian) implelentation of openrc does not use openrc-init.  It still uses init to start things off.

Whats in /etc/init.d/rcS, does it contain something like this:

This is the startup of openrc.

That's what I thought. So, openrc is just being used in Devuan/Debian as a service manager, not an init system.
Has anyone successfully booted Devuan using openrc-init as init system?

I asking this out of curiosity. My only concern is to support diversity, and, of course, have a bootable system with everything working smile

Regards,

Last edited by aurocha (2019-03-13 10:44:55)

#12 2019-03-13 15:51:59

dxrobertson

I think to replace runnig /sbin/init with running /sbin/openrc-init requires other system changes, the man page for openrc-init specifically mentions shutdown and getty.  I suspect Debian uses init is to keep the switching (installing) between sysvinit and openrc manageable.

Board footer