The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-02 14:19:09

0xf4b10
Member
Registered: 2018-05-12
Posts: 21  

What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

I've used archlinux almost all my linux life so I'm not very used to the apt world. I'm trying to install these packages:

sudo apt-get install g++-multilib gcc-multilib lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-dev lib32z1-dev

But it fails with:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 g++-multilib : Depends: g++-6-multilib (>= 6.3.0-9~) but it is not going to be installed
 gcc-multilib : Depends: gcc-6-multilib (>= 6.3.0-9~) but it is not going to be installed
 lib32ncurses5-dev : Depends: lib32tinfo-dev (= 6.0+20161126-1+deb9u2) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: lib32c-dev
 lib32readline-dev : Depends: lib32tinfo-dev but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libc6-dev-i386 but it is not going to be installed
 lib32z1-dev : Depends: lib32c-dev
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I need to install these in order to build LineageOs from source. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Offline

#2 2018-06-02 15:57:36

devuser
Member
Registered: 2018-04-30
Posts: 129  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

Well, you might get away with

apt-get install -f

but imo it's more important to understand how you arrived in that situation. Have you installed any non official packages or used

dpkg -i

at some point? What do your apt sources look like?

Offline

#3 2018-06-02 17:13:03

0xf4b10
Member
Registered: 2018-05-12
Posts: 21  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

I've only used dpkg to install the kernel I built with make deb-pkg and to install ungoogled-chromium I've also built.

devuser wrote:

What do your apt sources look like?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list:

# deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_netinst]/ ascii main non-free

#deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_netinst]/ ascii main non-free

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-updates main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-updates main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-security main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-security main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] ascii-proposed main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] ascii-proposed main

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-backports main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-backports main

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] experimental main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] experimental main

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
#                      UNOFFICIAL  REPOS                       
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

###### 3rd Party Binary Repos
###Virtualbox
deb [arch=i386,amd64] [url]http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian[/url] stretch contrib

Offline

#4 2018-06-02 17:33:19

devuser
Member
Registered: 2018-04-30
Posts: 129  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

0xf4b10 wrote:

I've only used dpkg to install the kernel I built with make deb-pkg and to install ungoogled-chromium I've also built.

That doesn't seem to bad. This on the other hand

0xf4b10 wrote:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list:

# deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_netinst]/ ascii main non-free

#deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_netinst]/ ascii main non-free

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-updates main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-updates main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-security main non-free contrib
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-security main non-free contrib

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] ascii-proposed main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] ascii-proposed main

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-backports main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/merged[/url] ascii-backports main

deb     [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] experimental main
deb-src [url]http://br.deb.devuan.org/devuan[/url] experimental main

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
#                      UNOFFICIAL  REPOS                       
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

###### 3rd Party Binary Repos
###Virtualbox
deb [arch=i386,amd64] [url]http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian[/url] stretch contrib

might very well be the source of your troubles. I am a bit unsure about ascii-updates and ascii-proposed (probably still better to avoid unless you know you need them) but mixing in experimental is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing. What is the reason for adding it and do you have any pinning in place to keep it in check?

Offline

#5 2018-06-02 18:46:45

KatolaZ
Member
Registered: 2017-03-11
Posts: 33  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

0xf4b10 wrote:

I've used archlinux almost all my linux life so I'm not very used to the apt world. I'm trying to install these packages:

sudo apt-get install g++-multilib gcc-multilib lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-dev lib32z1-dev

But it fails with:
....

Hi,

please post the output of:

  apt-cache policy lib32tindo-dev

And, have you run:

  apt-get update

before trying to install the g++-multilib package? It currently installs just fine here using the same repos as yours.

Regards

Offline

#6 2018-06-03 01:21:32

0xf4b10
Member
Registered: 2018-05-12
Posts: 21  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

devuser wrote:

I am a bit unsure about ascii-updates and ascii-proposed (probably still better to avoid unless you know you need them) but mixing in experimental is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing. What is the reason for adding it and do you have any pinning in place to keep it in check?

Well I added them because I like to always have the most recent updates of packages available, just like I did when I was in the ArchLinux world. Should I remove them from sources-list?
Btw, I solved my problem by installing the packages through aptitude

KatolaZ wrote:

And, have you run:

  apt-get update

before trying to install the g++-multilib package? It currently installs just fine here using the same repos as yours.

Yes, I've tried it and didn't worked.

Thank you guys for the help

Offline

#7 2018-06-03 06:03:40

devuser
Member
Registered: 2018-04-30
Posts: 129  

Re: What is the simplest way to escape out of "Broken packages" problems?

0xf4b10 wrote:
devuser wrote:

I am a bit unsure about ascii-updates and ascii-proposed (probably still better to avoid unless you know you need them) but mixing in experimental is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing. What is the reason for adding it and do you have any pinning in place to keep it in check?

Well I added them because I like to always have the most recent updates of packages available, just like I did when I was in the ArchLinux world. Should I remove them from sources-list?
Btw, I solved my problem by installing the packages through aptitude

I see. You'd be better off to just run testing or unstable if you really want some kind of rolling release. I am happy to hear you managed to fix your problems using aptitude but if i were you i'd try to get to a non mixed release as soon as possible. Dependency problems should seriously never occur on a healthy system. Seems ascii and future releases are still largely compatible but at some point they won't be any longer and then a simple apt-get upgrade is almost guarantied to put your system in a state where reinstall is the only sane solution (even if experimental is a bit of a special case here by not being a complete distribution).

TL;DR: Either run ascii, testing or unstable but not some mixup. Experimental is for development only and not something you should run just to be on the edge.

Edit: Removed some false statements about testing being ahead of unstable. Sorry, not exactly my strong side as i wouldn't run either because i like stable and boring systems.

Last edited by devuser (2018-06-03 06:56:10)

Offline

Board footer