The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 18:15:01

GNUser

how to unmount fuse mount using desktop icon?

I'm looking for a workaround for the issue I reported here: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1912 Bottomline is that gvfs is too complicated and I want out!

If I remove the executable bit from /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor, then gvfs stays out of my way so that I can mount my phone manually (or automatically via udev rule) with this:

jmtpfs ~/phone

I am then able to browse the phone's directory, add and remove files, etc.

The only problem now is that when it's time to unmount the phone, if I right-click on the phone's desktop icon and choose "Unmount" I get a nasty "Unable to unmount...Permission denied" pop-up. The only way to unmount the phone is to run this command (either via terminal or a keyboard shortcut):

fusermount -u ~/phone

Not being able to use the desktop icon is quite inconvenient--especially for my wife, who is used to removing everything using its desktop icon. Is there some way to force fuse to allow users to unmount using the desktop icon? I've gone around in circles for hours and can't seem to find a solution.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-02-28 18:16:34)

#2 2018-03-03 13:47:58

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: how to unmount fuse mount using desktop icon?

I think you'll need a second desktop file. Change the "Exec=" line to use the fusermount command. Change the icon associated with the desktop file so it looks different. (That's just another line in the desktop file.)

#3 2018-03-03 15:08:06

GNUser

Thanks, fsmithred. I did solve it that way (with .desktop file that runs the fusermount command). Take a look at the link in first post.

#4 2018-03-03 16:07:55

Geoff 42

I have been using Spacefm, which can perform unmounting. If necessary it can use udevil to do the mounting/unmounting.

Geoff

Board footer