The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-09 17:23:23

devuan_dk_fan

Devuan Jessie i3 system problem with Dropbox and IceCat.

I have installed a vanilla, minimal Devuan i3 system and have a couple of small problems I can't find a solution to. Firstly I have XFE installed as file manager and have added:

[Added Associations]
inode/directory=xfe.desktop;

to ~/.config/mimeapps.list, but I have had no success starting the Dropbox program in the GUI. I realize Dropbox can be installed with the cli, but I would like to manage it from the GUI, with XFE as the file manager if possible, and with the tray applett running in my tray.

The other issue is with the portable IceCat browser program, which I downloaded and copied to my ~/bin folder, making sure that I added:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

in my .bashrc file, but it refuses to appear in Dmenu (suckless-tools). It will run fine if I include the complete path in my i3 .config file but gmrun replies "permission denied" and if I try to run IceCat from the terminal, it kicks up a lot of GTK errors.

I am unsure if these issues are caused by something that isn't installed on my system, or if something else is going on.

Last edited by devuan_dk_fan (2018-02-09 17:24:04)

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

#2 2018-02-09 23:32:39

devuan_dk_fan

Re: Devuan Jessie i3 system problem with Dropbox and IceCat.

Cool! I have Dropbox working now, but IceCat still eludes me. For Dropbox, I did the following. I created a file called /usr/bin/nautilus, added the following:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/xfe

and made it executable. Then I ran the following in a terminal:

$ dropbox start -i dropboxd

Lastly, I added this to my ~/.i3/config file:

exec --no-startup-id dropbox start

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

Board footer