The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-22 22:37:31

fungus
Website

Vuu-do and Miyo why isn't Alt-f Alt-e not working?

I had first noticed it on vuu-do which had some hot-keys remapped and now it is on miyo-extra
When you are on an editor or other gui and you want to hit alt-f (file menu) or alt-e (edit menu) the combination does not work, which is pretty standard.  https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=5612#p5612

I had asked before and I was trying to see if there was an answer and didn't find one.
It is quite annoying because while I edit things I don't want to reach for the mouse.
I sometimes hit alt-f then s (save) then alt-F4 (close) and if I am not careful the edits are gone.

I looked at /etc/xdg rc.conf ...  but it is not that this combination is used for something else, it is just not doing anything.  Any clues.
It works fine on devuan and refracta

#2 2018-01-22 23:44:10

MiyoLinux

Re: Vuu-do and Miyo why isn't Alt-f Alt-e not working?

Do those keybindings work on any other Openbox distros that you know of?

I've looked at the rc.xml files of a couple of other "more popular and well-known" Openbox distros, and neither of them have keybindings for either of those actions.

So, I tried making a keybinding for file menu and edit menu, and nothing I tried worked. Perhaps it's an Openbox situation...I don't know. I'll continue searching.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-01-23 12:54:26

fsmithred
Administrator

I just tested it in my openbox (ascii) with geany, and those key combinations work. I did not do anything to configure them, and the only changes in my rc.xml are for Alt-F2 to execute 'lxpanelctl run' and for left mouse click not to unshade a window. No idea where you'd look.

#4 2018-01-23 14:12:38

fungus
Website

This came up on the 32b and I did the 64 from scratch.
There is a point in refractainstaller right after lang/locales that asks about a key which I interpreted as the key combination to switch keyboards.  I think it is an alternative to windows key to be remapped to a combination for keyboards not having that windows key (the one between ctrl/alt)
So I left it alone this time and the problem is gone.
So it may be my fault but what exactly is this in refra-ler-gui?

#5 2018-01-23 14:21:42

fsmithred
Administrator

The locale, tzdata and keyboard selection pieces that run in pre-install are just the debconf dialogs you get when you run 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' and so on. The one for keyboard is 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. At least that's what I assume you're talking about. I thought I had turned that off, but maybe I remember turning it on. I usually skip all those pre-install scripts. (You can mess with them or add your own scripts in /usr/lib/refractainstaller/pre-install/)

#6 2018-01-25 00:30:33

MiyoLinux

Out of curiosity, I tried those keyboard shortcuts while I was building the latest Miyo-XTRA Ascii 32 bit. They worked during the build. I didn't think to try it after I installed it. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#7 2018-01-25 20:54:16

greenjeans
Website

Just checked and the alt+e works in Vuu-do's text editor.

Alt+f has been re-mapped to open the file manager, easy enough to change it if you like. I use F on that one because it's easy to remember that way F(ile manager), T for terminal etc.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#8 2018-01-26 03:50:04

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

This came up on the 32b and I did the 64 from scratch.
There is a point in refractainstaller right after lang/locales that asks about a key which I interpreted as the key combination to switch keyboards.  I think it is an alternative to windows key to be remapped to a combination for keyboards not having that windows key (the one between ctrl/alt)
So I left it alone this time and the problem is gone.
So it may be my fault but what exactly is this in refra-ler-gui?

Okay...I'm a bit perplexed.

1.  Those shortcut keys work for me when I'm building Miyo.
2.  I've always left that screen "blank" when I install Miyo. In other words, I don't apply anything...I just move past it.
3.  Those shortcut keys don't work after installing Miyo.

You said that you "left it alone, and the problem is gone"; however, I always leave it alone, but only noticed those keyboard shortcuts don't work after you mentioned it here...I'm not really a keyboard shortcut user myself. If you left it alone, and I've always left it alone...but they still aren't working for me...I'm bumfuzzled. LOLOLOL!!! tongue

tongue tongue tongue

...and just for good measure...

tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-01-26 03:50:59)

#9 2018-01-26 11:59:20

fungus
Website

On my experiment yesterday I pulled refr-staller from experimental and chose expert installation, and kept an eye open for when that part would come up, left the pre and post scripts as they were.  It didn't come up, so whatever it is is in those pre-scripts.

I must have done the same with vuu-do a while ago, and I mentioned it then thinking it had to do with hotkeys vuu-do had that disabled Alt-f ....  never figured it out at the end.

But on vuu-do I think alt-f was reserved for a different function, alt-f on miyo32 was doing nothing, it just wasn't working.  The only difference was that on 64 I did not touch that option and it worked.  It may be irrelevant and the problem is elsewhere in 32 that doesn't exist in 64.

#10 2018-01-26 20:31:43

fungus
Website

More weirdness, the same stick I installed miyo32extra I had left at work upgrading to ascii
When I went to it today I noticed the alt-f wasn't a problem.
The original installation was done on the same machine that 32 wouldn't let alt-f work and 64 was ok.
Now is the different hw the difference or did the upgrade to ascii fix the problem?
The upgrade was taking so long I just let it run and left.
I also noticed that refracta-installer was on the list to be upgraded, check your version before next issue.

#11 2018-01-26 21:34:44

MiyoLinux

I'm using the installer-base and snapshot-base versions included in the Ascii repos on the XTRA Ascii versions that I'm making now. wink

#12 2018-01-26 23:32:55

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

I also noticed that refracta-installer was on the list to be upgraded, check your version before next issue.

Thanks for heads-up, looks like some new versions of the base packages for snapshot and installer.

I think new GUI packages are forthcoming too but haven't spoken to FSR in a while, i've been in and out and busy a lot through the holidays, starting to catch up on my 'nix now. wink

I am using highly hacked and butchered versions in Vuu-do, lol, I re-did all the yad dialogues in both gui scripts, it's very pretty now IMO but don't know if they'll make the cut.

But for sure, if you use Vuu-do, be sure and remember that the Refracta-tools have been modded extensively to be Vuu-do specific, the excludes files, conf files, the scripts themselves etc. There's also some changes in the live config stuff that works with Refracta to make the magic happen. So if you are using Vuu-do just as a base to make something very different, you may need to do a lot of editing, or just re-install the packages and start fresh.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#13 2018-01-27 02:29:04

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

More weirdness, the same stick I installed miyo32extra I had left at work upgrading to ascii
When I went to it today I noticed the alt-f wasn't a problem.
The original installation was done on the same machine that 32 wouldn't let alt-f work and 64 was ok.
Now is the different hw the difference or did the upgrade to ascii fix the problem?
The upgrade was taking so long I just let it run and left.

Installed Miyo-XTRA Ascii 32bit on my old Sony Vaio today, and all of the questioned shortcuts are working on it. smile  As normal, I left that one particular screen alone during the installation.

I've almost finished the 64 bit version of XTRA Ascii...the shortcuts worked on the build and during the live session of the first 64 bit .iso that I made of it. I'll be interested to see how it fares after I'm finished with it and actually install it.

#14 2018-01-27 02:59:09

fsmithred
Administrator

Greenjeans, yes your changes will make the cut, but they are at the bottom of the list. I haven't even started on the new gui scripts. Still working on cli refractainstaller. The new version (9.3.3-1 I think) is in the ascii repo, and it fixes a couple of bugs. If you're already using 9.3.3 downloaded from sourceforge, you have those fixes already. (especially the one that let you finish the install without choosing a place for the bootloader.)

There's a newer version in the works, but I moved so much stuff around, it needs a lot of testing. It's also getting translated to German. That one will allow gpt partition tables with bios boot. (i.e. it will remind you what special things you need to do to avoid grub failing without telling you those things.) I'll probably put it in a package soon so I can get some of you guys to test it.

#15 2018-01-27 04:37:29

MiyoLinux

Sorry for cutting in fsr, but I wanted to report...

I'm writing this from a freshly installed Miyo-XTRA-Ascii 64 bit, and the keyboard shortcuts in question are working on it too...so both 32 bit and 64 bit versions are producing the desired effects as to the keyboard shortcuts that fungus has pointed out. At this time, I'm not sure why they don't work on Jessie builds of Miyo.

I have a little more testing to do, and if all goes well, I will upload the new XTRA-Ascii versions to Sourceforge sometime tomorrow...IF! LOL! tongue

Thanks for pointing this out fungus. As I said...I'm not much of a keyboard-shortcut user, so I would have never noticed this in my testing. I guess that shows a shortcoming in me and my "developer status"... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! big_smile

tongue tongue tongue

#16 2018-01-31 01:20:49

mt12345
Website

greenjeans wrote:

Alt+f has been re-mapped to open the file manager, easy enough to change it if you like. I use F on that one because it's easy to remember that way F(ile manager), T for terminal etc.

most people would use WIN instead of ALT to avoid overlapping with MENU, I use Shift+WIN for launching apps to avoid even more conflicts when switching window managers:

S+W+Return = terminal
S+W+b = browser
S+W+f = files
S+W+e = editor
W+r = run...
W+l = lock screen
W+p = dynamic menu
W+0 = decorations on/off
W+x = close window
S+W+r = reboot
S+W+p = power-off

Board footer