The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-06 20:52:16

oui

in 32bit, you, simply, can more!

I am sorry, but 64 bit continues to not be at the same level as 32 bit!

I did reinstall in 32 bit and can install without complication about all the stuff I need in a very smart installation, yet about only 2 Gb installed.

nted (a familly computer without music sheets editor?), merkaartor, gramps, xine-console as well as mplayer2, gv, mtpaint, viewnior, gimagereader and tesseract-ocr, are also installed...

as browser, I did install from an old Ubuntu release "vimprobable2". it seems to be the smalltest browser theoretically able to  handle with libflashplayer.so.

on it, it was possible to copy the SliTaz binary "Tazweb", ab. 140 kb, if I good remember: it make out the not easy to handle with VI commands vimprobable2 a browser like a very simply Firefox: analog commands, remembering of some passwords, history, cookies history in a text file (=ability to erase), and bookmarks (copy the dir's/files in /usr/bin, in /usr/share, also the icon if you want it, ~/.config/tazweb !)

and you can continue with the version actualised 2016 of luakit at the luakit site (*.deb is offered). after that, you have 3 browsers offering diverse possibilities under  70 Mb installation! you can add links2 on it within the 70 Mb

the problem is, Google did change extremely the rules:

if you visit the Google page of youtube (yes, youtube is now google, do never forget it!) concerning html5, you will see that no other browser as firefox, and only under the condition of some restrictions concerning hardware etc., under the FREE BROWSER can handle HTML5!

(it is not really true: SliTaz has developped himself Tazweb, and tazweb has never some difficulty until now with html5...)

our actuall distros, incl. Devuan, I am sorry, help Google to dominate the world: They did conclude: no HTML5, erase the app's, erase the browser from the scope of offered packages. it is exact what Google did want pushing html5!

in 32 bit, you can simply get old packages and sources from old depositories not cleaned actually under the pression of Google and Debian/Ubuntu and from old CD's annexed as publicity to old computer books and revues...

my actual installation over absolute minimal:

sudo apt install sudo gpm clex didiwiki alsa-utils cups-client cups-daemon sc alsa-utils xserver-xorg-video-intel x11-xserver-utils xserver-xorg-input-mouse xinit xdotool jwm gv mtpaint viewnior mhwaveedit menu vimprobable2 grun ranger gramps merkaartor nted ranger perl xine-console mplayer2 gimagereader tesseract-ocr-deu luakit links2 xvidcap

Last edited by oui (2017-12-06 20:54:07)

#2 2017-12-07 06:55:16

fungus
Website

Re: in 32bit, you, simply, can more!

Back in the early 70s if you had the world's fastest motorcycle, a Honda 750, you could adjust all 8 valves in a jiffy with 3 tools.  When twin cam 16v came out mechanics hated them, but they had twice the power.  Now it takes a genius and a day's work to do the same with a huge toolbox.

I have a pc which is about two times faster than my older one.  In most cases I can't tell the difference, but give them both something extensive to compile and it shows.

When I made isos out of two otherwise identical devuans, a 32b and a 64b, they were virtually identical in size.  Still they are different fruits.

I am just thankful that there is support for 32b systems even though they are not really produced for more than a decade.  Most smaller distributions have dropped 32bit and not many have complained about it.

#3 2017-12-07 13:29:47

oui

Hi Fungus

I understand well, that you don't to see a crank again to start your car. But you know probably that the Wankel engine (eccentric rotary engine) did never have some succes...

Idem OS2 of IBM on the field of micro informatic (and IBM was the real leader!)...

Today, we constate all that the abuse (use for private personal transport) of Diesel engine is an important factor of the air pollution although Diesel engines uses the energy better!

I see actually, that Linux did not become the winner at all!

A lot of unix comparable systems, linux is one of them, did be create by Apple ... ZZZ but it is to early to decide which one is for the future.

In Germany Betamax was considered in the early phase of  diffusion of electronical videos as a kind of giant progress, but an other one did wine, and all were replaced by computer videos!

I did begin to use PC's with TMS 9900. Texas Instruments did produce the best technologie at this time. IBM did win with the old one... and that, to lose anyway.

I find good to see enthousiastic men as you!

#4 2017-12-07 17:03:01

cynwulf

oui wrote:

the problem is, Google did change extremely the rules:

if you visit the Google page of youtube (yes, youtube is now google, do never forget it!) concerning html5, you will see that no other browser as firefox, and only under the condition of some restrictions concerning hardware etc., under the FREE BROWSER can handle HTML5!
[...]
it is exact what Google did want pushing html5!

While I'm certainly no fan of Alphabet/Google, I'm not sure why you conclude that the W3C's EME DRM in HTML5 is solely the fault of Google?

The other 471 W3C members include, among others, some large media companies from around the world, who are certainly interested in pushing DRM to protect their revenue streams.

https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

Sadly HTML5's EME was given momentum by the "we must get rid of flash at all costs" people and others bought into the inevitability of polluting open WWW standards with a DRM provision as a necessary evil for watching streaming video.

flash was and still is a turd, but at least it was a turd you could choose to avoid.  Now unless you compile your browser from source, DRM is built in.

#5 2017-12-07 18:30:34

fungus
Website

I had been driven in a Ro-80/NSU as a teen, I drove RX2-3-4-7, never an 8, and fixed and ridden an RE5 Suzuki.  I liked the water-buffalo much better.  Interesting bad-expensive idea, wankels were. 

My first encounter with computers was in 82 programming Cincinnati CNC- lathes and mills, then in school we punched stacks of cards.  RadioShack still didn't offer a programmable calculator then.  I remember trs80 but I think that was years later.

I like music but still prefer analog and tubes, but can't say the same with visual technology although I use to like photography back when it was an art to measure light correctly and play with it. 

I admit ignorance on the issue cynwulf brings up, I am among those who ignorantly fell for the anti-flash and the term html5 sold as a good thing as all html things are.

Dumb question:  Is it slower to download and start watching an mpeg/mp4 file, while it is downloading, than flash/html5 videos?  Is it less "safe" to do so?  Or is it more anonymous to do so?

The internet use to be nice up until the Gore/Clinton information superhighway coup took place and handed out the world's finest information sharing tool to the supernational oligopoly cartel so they can monitor and control the masses globally.  Google is just the tip of the iceberg or the straw that broke the camel's back.

Peace

#6 2017-12-07 21:11:24

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

Back in the early 70s if you had the world's fastest motorcycle, a Honda 750, you could adjust all 8 valves in a jiffy with 3 tools.

I used to set the valve-lash on a straight-six with just two, one to remove valve cover and the other to loosen/tighten and do it in about 5 minutes or less.  TDC it, adjust half of 'em, rotate crank, do the other half.

....(sigh)....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#7 2017-12-08 05:08:46

fungus
Website

I'll top this for doing the same at -20 without being cold .....  inside a dodge van (3sp on the column).  smile
+2' to polish the points with paper and polishing paste.

Then systemd came and messed it all up

Board footer