The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-03 18:58:14

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] MiyoQt releases

If anyone is interested, I've just uploaded MiyoQt (a minimal desktop with the LXQt DE) based on Devuan Ascii in both 32 and 64 bit editions...the 64bit "should" be compatible with either BIOS or UEFI.

Thanks to fsr for making me dig. smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … oQt-Ascii/

I hope that I'll be able to upload my Miyo-XTRA-Ascii-UEFI versions tomorrow...one with kernel 4.9.0 and the other with kernel 4.13.0. wink

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-03 19:00:11)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2017-11-04 12:36:12

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [MiyoLinux] MiyoQt releases

I can confirm that it boots on uefi hardware.

Suspend works from the menu. On lid closure, all it does is turn off the screen. I could still log in through ssh (I added the server).

If you want to get ahead of the repo, there are newer versions of refractainstaller-base and refractasnapshot-base.The cli installer script can now do uefi install, and both -base packages have additional rsync excludes for /lib as a symlink to /usr/lib.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/

Symlink /lib not an issue if you upgrade from jessie, but if you do a debootstrap install of ascii or install from an ascii installer iso (soon to be real) then you'll end up with /lib as a symlink. If you don't exclude some stuff in /usr/lib/live you end up with an extra copy of the system. You'll know this happened because your iso will be a lot bigger than you expected.

#3 2017-11-04 15:13:24

MiyoLinux

Wow...thanks for checking fsr! I deeply appreciate that.

As to the lid closure issue. How do I put this? I think people who are fans of (or familiar with) LXQt realize that "some things" still don't work exactly right with the LXQt DE since it's still under development. On top of that, I had to replace the native LXQt shutdown options with Obsession since none of them worked (except Logout).

I made the .isos by request from a friend who wanted a Devuan LXQt system. Someone new to LXQt may not realize that there are still a few issues with the LXQt DE. One of the biggest being...the default file manager is PCManFM-Qt. It's a dependency, so it gets installed automatically. However, trying to use it as root is a major pain in the derrière. big_smile That's why I included the GTK version of PCManFM...so users could perform root actions in the file manager without problems.

The LXQt power manager brings up another issue...after 10 minutes, the screen turns off automatically no matter what you do in the LXQt power management settings. I know an experienced user can change that in a file somewhere (it's been so long since I've done it that I don't remember where the file is or what it's called), but an easy fix for most users will be to install either xscreensaver (with several dependencies) or the xfce4-power-manager to stop this. I personally prefer...

apt-get install xfce4-power-manager --no-install-recommends

...because it does the job and doesn't install hardly any dependencies. I'll be adding that to the Wiki on Sourceforge.

Thanks again for giving it a test. I do appreciate it. smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-04 17:20:49)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#4 2017-11-04 19:58:30

fungus
Website

UEFI:
If you are trying to make an image of the system you have on a non-EFI box, refracta asks for the grub-uefi which if installed it removes the grub-pc etc. needed on the system.  How do you do this?

#5 2017-11-04 20:28:52

fsmithred
Administrator

The way to get around needing different versions of grub for uefi vs bios is to include grub packages so you can install what you need. Support for this is in the installer (more or less, depending on the version.) Another way to deal with it is to skip installing the bootloader. This will work if you already have a working bootloader and can add another entry. (i.e. multiboot linux setup.)

Oops. You asked about making a snapshot, not installing. OK, refractasnapshot has an option called force_efi. It will work if grub-efi-amd64 was installed and then replaced with grub-pc without autoremoving the associated packages. (use apt-get, not aptitude to remove grub-efi)

More (edit2): Refracta isos have grub-pc installed and grub-efi packages included in the iso. The devuan desktop-live-uefi iso has grub-efi installed and the grub-pc packages were included (somewhat accidentally.)

#6 2017-11-04 21:28:20

fsmithred
Administrator

had to replace the native LXQt shutdown options with Obsession since none of them worked

I have an lxqt install, and all the logout buttons work. We have the same policykit packages installed (except you included the l10n package). Mine started out as openbox with lxpanel. You have libpam-gnome-keyring. I don't. Other libpam stuff is the same.

Maybe it's in the 'power' packages. I have libupower-glib3 that you don't have, and I see that xfce4-power-manager is running in mine. Not saying you need to do anything about it. All the logout buttons work in your iso. But since so many people run into problems with logout buttons, I figured this was a good place to drop my observations.

#7 2017-11-04 21:42:58

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

The LXQt power manager brings up another issue...after 10 minutes, the screen turns off automatically no matter what you do in the LXQt power management settings. I know an experienced user can change that in a file somewhere (it's been so long since I've done it that I don't remember where the file is or what it's called),

I imagine it's xset, this is not exclusive to LXqt, it's a part of the X system

xset -s off <---to disable screensaver

xset -dpms <--to disable power management

xset -q  <-- to see current settings

man xset <--for manpage

You can use xset for an easy screensaver or even to suspend after x amount of time.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-11-04 21:43:50)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#8 2017-11-04 22:53:29

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

had to replace the native LXQt shutdown options with Obsession since none of them worked

I have an lxqt install, and all the logout buttons work. We have the same policykit packages installed (except you included the l10n package). Mine started out as openbox with lxpanel. You have libpam-gnome-keyring. I don't. Other libpam stuff is the same.

Maybe it's in the 'power' packages. I have libupower-glib3 that you don't have, and I see that xfce4-power-manager is running in mine. Not saying you need to do anything about it. All the logout buttons work in your iso. But since so many people run into problems with logout buttons, I figured this was a good place to drop my observations.

Thanks fsr; I'll try installing that on mine later and see if it helps. If it does, I'll fix the .isos and re-upload them.

For now though, I ain't doin' nothin', 'cause I've been battling an oncoming migraine, and it looks like I'm losing. Gonna crawl in a dark hole somewhere... tongue

greenjeans wrote:

I imagine it's xset, this is not exclusive to LXqt, it's a part of the X system
xset -s off <---to disable screensaver
xset -dpms <--to disable power management
xset -q  <-- to see current settings
man xset <--for manpage
You can use xset for an easy screensaver or even to suspend after x amount of time.

Ahh...thank you sir. smile

#9 2017-11-05 02:35:01

fungus
Website

I am wondering whether in lxqt you are running into the same problems as in openbox with lxde.
The way to utilize the lxsession-logout in openbox is if lxpolkit is running.  I wonder if it is similar in lxqt's openbox.
I still haven't found a light solution for switchin keyboards (language) in openbox, without the function being part of a task/bar or panel.

Unless lxqt's logout is not working in lxqt session and I misinterpret it at all.  In this case lxsession-logout may be working on lxqt as well.

PS (edit)  If we had OpenRC working it would be easier I think smile

Last edited by fungus (2017-11-05 02:36:05)

#10 2017-11-05 04:44:34

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

I am wondering whether in lxqt you are running into the same problems as in openbox with lxde.
The way to utilize the lxsession-logout in openbox is if lxpolkit is running.  I wonder if it is similar in lxqt's openbox.
I still haven't found a light solution for switchin keyboards (language) in openbox, without the function being part of a task/bar or panel.

Unless lxqt's logout is not working in lxqt session and I misinterpret it at all.  In this case lxsession-logout may be working on lxqt as well.

PS (edit)  If we had OpenRC working it would be easier I think smile

I was reading the other day...shocker! tongue Anyway...since keyboard layouts have been a concern of mine lately, I was reading around about it, and saw something that I've meant to try but forgot about...shocker! big_smile It might be what you're looking for (if it works). To quickly change keyboard layouts to...let's say...German, open your terminal and issue...

loadkeys de

Then back to US English...

loadkeys us

Like I said though, I haven't tried it yet. However, if it works, you could easily add it to the menu if you didn't want to open the terminal and type it each time. smile I would try it now, but I'm on my phone.

I've installed OpenRC three times, and it worked great each time. My only reservation is how it would continue to function as dist-upgrades took place. Might still work great though.

I'm going to do a test install soon of the full LXQt desktop to see how its shutdown options work. If they do, that'll give me something to compare to.

fsr, if you read this, that package didn't help. Thank you though.

#11 2017-11-05 11:04:44

fungus
Website

$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10

Try this command and see if it gives you any hints.
The command above (loadkeys) does not work unless you manually set up some keymap files, I think.

#12 2017-11-05 15:22:01

MiyoLinux

This just worked for me on Ascii LXQt...

1. Add the layouts that you want to use to /etc/default/keyboard and save the file. I added ru, gb, and de.

2. I used ru (Russian) in my test. Open the terminal and using the two-letter code for the keyboard you want to use, enter...

setxkbmap ru

I opened my text editor and started typing, and it was typing in Russian. Had to log out to get back to my US layout, because Russian keys don't match US keys. LOL! tongue

If that works for you, it would be handy to have it in your menu for using the different layouts so that you don't have to logout to return to your default.

#13 2017-11-05 15:56:40

fungus
Website

If I could get l-alt l-shft to switch between them as I have been used to doing for years and years, it would be splendid.

#14 2017-11-05 16:00:14

fungus
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Had to log out to get back to my US layout

σετχκβμαπ -θσ

is not a linux recognizable command

I know exactly what you mean smile

#15 2017-11-05 17:10:31

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

If I could get l-alt l-shft to switch between them as I have been used to doing for years and years, it would be splendid.

Ahhh...keyboard shortcut for toggling is better! In that same /etc/default/keyboard file is an entry for that...

XKBOPTIONS="grp:lalt_lshift_toggle"

"Should" work...unless I didn't name the keys correctly... tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-11-05 17:29:18)

#16 2017-11-05 18:03:55

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:
fungus wrote:

Ahhh...keyboard shortcut for toggling is better! In that same /etc/default/keyboard file is an entry for that...

XKBOPTIONS="grp:lalt_lshift_toggle"

"Should" work...unless I didn't name the keys correctly... tongue

Just checked this on mine, and that works. smile

...but you have to reboot for it to take effect.

#17 2017-11-05 23:39:10

fungus
Website

Thank you a million ...

#18 2017-11-06 03:46:55

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

Thank you a million ...

Sure thing. Sorry about the wild goose chase with "loadkeys".

#19 2017-11-06 13:56:29

fungus
Website

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/153/

If this does not work, there is also /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

To be able to alternate between keyboard mappings/languages (example us,fr,es) with right alt + right shift the file should read as follows:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "system-keyboard"
    MatchIsKeyboard "on"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,fr,es"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ralt_rshift_toggle"
EndSection

Last edited by fungus (2017-11-06 13:58:03)

#20 2017-11-07 02:37:20

MiyoLinux

Thanks fungus. smile

#21 2017-11-09 03:36:43

MiyoLinux

If anyone has installed MiyoQt, and you're experiencing VERY SLOW updates, the fix is in the MiyoLinux Wiki on Sourceforge...

https://sourceforge.net/p/miyolinux/wik … %20FIX%21/

#22 2017-11-09 06:16:31

fungus
Website

You are saying because the new repositories now are working the original ones are very slow?

If you haven't updated your installation for a while, make sure you update your keyring BEFORE you switch repositories.  Of course if we are talking about miyo-lxqt there is no problem, it was already recent.

#23 2017-11-09 11:54:20

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

You are saying because the new repositories now are working the original ones are very slow?

If you haven't updated your installation for a while, make sure you update your keyring BEFORE you switch repositories.  Of course if we are talking about miyo-lxqt there is no problem, it was already recent.

Well...no sir, I'm not saying that's the reason why the original ones are very slow...and they're not just very slow...they are VERY SLOW. I'm talking like 15 - 20 minutes just to do an apt-get update.  yikes  neutral

When I made the Ascii-based .isos (XTRA and Qt), I debated on whether to use the new pkgmaster sources.list or stick with the regular ascii one. I decided to stick with the regular, because the new one is still considered to be "testing".

#24 2017-11-10 00:24:46

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Well...no sir, I'm not saying that's the reason why the original ones are very slow...and they're not just very slow...they are VERY SLOW. I'm talking like 15 - 20 minutes just to do an apt-get update.  yikes  neutral

Not the case here at all, did multiple updates in several partitions the last few days, all on the old US.mirror, and everything has been rock-a-doodle-doo so far.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#25 2017-11-10 13:19:08

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Not the case here at all, did multiple updates in several partitions the last few days, all on the old US.mirror, and everything has been rock-a-doodle-doo so far.

Update speeds were normal today on my non-pkgmaster-ed sources.list on Ascii.  smile

Board footer