The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-27 01:28:43

the.drewster

Florence on SLIM

Good Morning,

I am currently running on a Fujitsu-Siemens Stylistic tablet.  The tablet is old-school, and has a built in WACOM stylus input.  This is working fine in MATE using the Florence on-screen keyboard.

The bit I can't get working is getting Florence to work on SLIM.  This makes logging in a bit of a challenge.

Is there any way to get this working, or failing that, what is the best login manager to swap this out with so I don't have to plug in a keyboard just to log in?

I appreciate any help I am offered for this.

Thanks
Drew

#2 2017-10-27 03:08:02

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: Florence on SLIM

the.drewster wrote:

The bit I can't get working is getting Florence to work on SLIM.

Could you be specific, please. Is it that you cannot start the keyboard over slim? or that it comes up but its input is not delivered to slim's login box? Or something else. Please include any error responses of any commands that your try.

#3 2017-10-28 00:06:04

the.drewster

Good Morning,

I can't seem to get Florence started on SLIM.  I have searched for information on SLIM and Florence, but there seems to be little available.

Thanks
Drew

#4 2017-10-28 01:11:01

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Fair enough. If you are in the mood for tinkering, it's not really a difficult thing to start an X program over slim. The fundamental aspects are to have the XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY properly set when starting the program, and to start the program at the right time, i.e., after slim.

I don't have florence but can illustrate using xvkbd instead.

For example, it might be sufficient to add a line into your /etc/rc.local file, making it look like this at the end:

( sleep 5 ; XAUTHORITY=/var/run/slim.auth DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/xvkbd ) &
exit 0

That line supposedly will start the virtual keyboard xvkbd upon reboot, after 5 seconds, on top of the slim login splash.

You will need to adjust as appropriate for florence of course.

Note that (assuming it works) the virtual keyboard only comes up after reboot, and not again when you log out. But maybe that is sufficient.

#5 2017-10-28 21:54:42

the.drewster

Fantastic, thank you.  That has solved my issues.

I can now use my tablet again, as a tablet you need to plug in a USB keyboard to log in isn't much use as a tablet!

Thank you again.

Thanks
Drew

Board footer