The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-30 00:07:22

Monti

Widevine Content Decryption Module with Chromium and Devuan... ?

Hello everyone!

I am about to install Devuan on my lady's laptop, but she wish to have the opportunity to watch Netflix on it too.

The easy choice would be to install Win10, but I am very reluctant to install that or any other system besides Devuan.

I have found that there is a DRM option in Firefox with Ubuntu and Win10 and a by standard Widevine Content Decryption Module plugin in Chrome.

So I am wondering if it is possible to install the Widevine CDM plugin in Chromium or to get a "DRM" Firefox version from for example Ubuntu repos that would make it possible to watch Netflix with Devuan?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry, overlooked "Everything running on X". Please move post to the appropriate section.

Last edited by Monti (2017-09-30 00:19:20)

#2 2017-09-30 00:53:50

MiyoLinux

Re: Widevine Content Decryption Module with Chromium and Devuan... ?

Hi Monti. Devuan has Firefox-ESR, and it plays Netflix and Amazon Prime for me perfectly. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2017-09-30 18:10:29

Monti

Thank you for your reply MiyoLinux.

I have tried to run Netflix with the Firefox-ESR version in the Devuan 1.0.0 Jessie release image from an USB stick, but get the Netflix HTML5 / Silverlight requirement page. I am trying with default settings in Firefox-ESR.

Is there a specific setting that I am not aware of?

#4 2017-09-30 19:58:23

MiyoLinux

Without more information, I will assume a few things based on my personal experience.

1. What is the Firefox-ESR version that you have?
2. Are you on a 32 bit version of Devuan?

The only time that I've had trouble was on a 32 bit version, and the Firefox-ESR version was 52.2.0. That version would work perfect on my 64 bit install, but it wouldn't work on the 32 bit install for some reason. Once Devuan upgraded the release to 52.3.0 (I think that's what it is now), the 32 bit would once again work.

If you aren't using Firefox-ESR 52.2.0, have you placed a checkmark in Firefox-ESR's "Preferences" to play DRM content?

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#5 2017-11-06 21:33:53

Monti

Thank you very much for your help @MiyoLinux and sorry for my very late follow up.

I can confirm that a newer version of Firefox-ESR did the trick. We are running Devuan 64-bit with Firefox-ESR 52.4.0 now and it automatically started to download Widevine when in Netflix.

I had to remove the older Firefox-ESR version first to upgrade to the newer version though. I am not sure why. Did a remove on Iceweasel too. Maybe there was a connection between the two. I then did a clean install and now have a 'Play DRM Content' checkbox in Content settings.

#6 2021-11-28 21:11:08

kapqa

Hello,

id like to have confirmation this is still functioning in 2021.

Tried today on my smallPC with Devuan Chimaera,
but could not get neither Firefox , nor Chromium or Chrome to stream Amazon Prime Video in HD (only SD quality).
Did install Widevine manually, as it seems missing for Chromium on Devuan 4.0, but it would not play HD nevertheless.

Board footer