The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-19 16:20:22

rodancap

SOLVED Brother Scanner not detected by Sane

Hi there

Neither Sane nor Simple Scan detect my brother all-in-one scanner HL L2380DW . I can print fine.

I am on Devuan GNU/Linux 1.0 (jessie), Mate desktop.

The drivers are installed:

dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii  brgenml1lpr                                                 3.1.0-1                                    i386         Brother BrGenML1 LPR driver
ii  brscan-skey                                                 0.2.4-1                                    amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                                                     0.4.4-3                                    i386         Brother Scanner Driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser                                      3-3                                        amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                                       1.3-8                                      amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

Sane only detects the scanner as root even though I added my user to the scanner group

sudo sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9 [Brother], product=0x0330 [HL-L2380DW]) at libusb:006:002

As per internet instructions I created a file: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-scanner.rules with the following lines:

ATTR{idVendor}=="0x04f9"
ATTR{idProduct}=="0x0330"
GROUP:="scanner"

I would appreciate some help. thanks !

Last edited by rodancap (2017-09-20 00:37:49)

#2 2017-09-19 22:08:36

greenjeans
Website

Re: SOLVED Brother Scanner not detected by Sane

Hmmm, don't use a scanner much, but i've had the best luck using the Xsane frontend for saned.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#3 2017-09-19 22:19:33

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

I'm not too well versed in this, but I might be able to help.

Firstly, I think that your /etc/udev/rules.d/10-scanner.rules should have a single rule line. It should be read "if the vendor is 0x04f9 and the product is 0x0330, then make the /dev/whatever pathname have group scanner". All that needs to be on a single line.

What you have done is rather three independent statements: "if the vendor is 0x04f9, then eeh nothing", "if the product is 0x0330, then ehh nothing", "if whatever, then set /dev/whatever to have group scanner". That last one in particular is quite "destructive" (although there might be some kind of protection in udev for that kind of mistake).

But, when I look at the libsane rules (i.e., /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules) it suggests that you should rather have the assignment

..., ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

as effect instead of setting access group. I think the deal is that the scanner dev's (for whatever [expletive] reason) have decided to use "acl" rather than unix file protection, and they also have programmed their rules to use a common, actual effect via the setting of the libsane_matched variable.

So, if making it a single line doesn't work, you might try replacing the GROUP assignment with that assignment.

EDIT: note the comma (",") between the terms; i.e., when you join your lines, you need to add "," comma between them.

#4 2017-09-19 22:42:02

rodancap

@greenjeans

Thanks, Xsane also fails.

@ralph.ronnquist

I think you have led me to find some mistakes. I think instead of the one line, I am missing comas and according to others it should be:

ATTR{idVendor}=="0x04f9",
ATTR{idProduct}=="0x0330",
GROUP:="scanner", Mode:="660"

Now, I don't really know what I am doing here. Monkey see, monkey do smile 

Still not working though

#5 2017-09-19 23:06:29

greenjeans
Website

All in one, so it's a printer too correct?

The other config tool that always works for me is the system-config-printer package, been many many years since I had to work hard to set up a printer, I install that package and printer-drivers-all and it has worked on all debian or Devuan systems.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#6 2017-09-19 23:23:56

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

To be sure, each rule is on a single line. Refer to

man udev

for details.

#7 2017-09-20 00:36:52

rodancap

Greenbeans solved it by suggesting to use the printer installer package instead installing the drivers themselves.

Thank you so much everyone !!

Board footer