The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-16 04:25:44

UnixMan1230

The Crappiness of Modern Laptops

Something that has been on my mind for the last 3-4 years, now. Wondering if maybe its just me...

Does anyone else seem to notice that laptops these days just don't last, and are poorly designed? Its like build quality has gone down significantly over the years. Prime example: I bought a Lenovo Legion 5 circa December 2022, and within 4 months the rubber feet on it were peeling off and the adhesive got *everywhere*. Worse still, lenovo doesn't sell kits to fix this, so its just stuck with exposed plastic pegs that scrape against every surface this thing sits on and makes it hard for the laptop to stay planted at an angle (ie. a podium).

Worse still, those "buttonless" touchpads that do not have separated mouse buttons are a PAIN to use. So often I would go to open a tab in firefox, and find myself having accidentally closed the current one because my finger was on that "sweet spot' between the left button and right button areas. It got to the point that I *refused* to use that laptop without a mouse, because the touchpad was getting in the way of being able to work. After a certain point, I was carrying so many accessories just to compensate for the lack of ports and physical shortcomings of this thing that I may as well have been using a tower with a battery.

Is it just me? Am I just unlucky, or are there others who have had the same experience?...

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#2 2024-06-16 05:00:23

aluma

Re: The Crappiness of Modern Laptops

I can only judge by previous models.

The ancestor of your Lenovo Legion 5 -Y500, a gaming laptop, a not very comfortable touchpad with two buttons, a flimsy plastic case.

Lenovo ThinkPad X201 from the business series, 5 buttons on the touchpad, joystick, Kevlar case with excellent hinges, keyboard that can be watered from the top, there are drain holes at the bottom. A latch that secures the lid and must be pushed back with a finger.

Maybe it's all about purpose?

If you are playing games, then it is probably better to use a gamepad and the laptop itself will be in more gentle conditions.

Last edited by aluma (2024-06-16 05:13:07)

#3 2024-06-16 07:58:34

Camtaf

Ever since the introduction of Chromebooks, I've seen the quality of laptops decline; so much so that I don't use one anymore, just desktop types of the SFF/USFF type, with a decent screen/monitor, & a decent mouse/keyboard.

#4 2024-06-16 08:01:23

soren

Its called planned obsolescence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

#5 2024-06-19 21:13:28

nahkhiirmees

I haven't been troubled with rubber-feets of laptops.

But hardware support is always a problem with linux. Even with desktops.
Ok, usually you can get your graphics card working, kind of. But then you'll be stuck with the distro's kernel. No compiling the latest from kernel.org if you want those blobs working.

And then there's the new firmware that replaced BIOS. Recently noticed that  i cannot boot from dvd if ssd is removed. What will i do if that ssd breaks?
With old hardware i could boot from dvd even after removing the hdd. But not necessarily with new machines.
I find that annoying.

#6 2024-06-21 05:55:35

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

@nahkhiirmees

Recently noticed that  i cannot boot from dvd if ssd is removed. What will i do if that ssd breaks?

what is the manufacturer, model number, and/or any additional revision/version numbers to identify this machine that won't boot when the ssd fails and/or is inoperative/absent? other forum members and the community at large will want to know to be able to stay away from units such as yours. thanks.

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you!

#7 2024-06-21 09:03:01

Camtaf

@ nahkhiirmees

Go into the BIOS/UEFI setup & make USB booting the first choice, internal drive the second choice, then you can use a USB optical drive, if you want to, else a pendrive or external disk.

#8 2024-06-21 12:34:33

nahkhiirmees

I like to think that the usb-dvd-drive was before ssd in booting order. But i'm not 100% sure about that.

#9 2024-06-21 15:11:29

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

also was reminded of this(for windows users):

ttps://www.tenforums.com/general-support/104149-cannot-access-bios-boot-menu-during-startup.html

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you!

#10 2024-06-23 19:27:01

LU344928

Battery life is my biggest gripe, particularly on ASUS models.

Devuan Daedalus 5.0  |  MX Linux 23  |  Slackware 15

#11 2024-08-07 23:19:15

Matlib
Website

I've got HP Dev One at work, and I'm pretty happy with it. It has a trackpoint along with touchpad. There are tiny annoyances like the power button right above backspace smile

I regret not buying one for myself when they were still available.

#12 2024-08-09 16:13:06

Carolina In My Mind

So don't buy a modern laptop. Buy a used, fairly old one in good condition--if you would be willing to accept that the less money you pay for one, the sooner you can expect it to die.

Granted that it depends on what "modern" means to you, but during my recent decade-long phase of using mostly laptops, I used old Thinkpad T series laptops from circa 2010-12. I love Thinkpad T4x laptops. I just got tired of replacing them.

#13 2024-08-18 20:17:53

nahkhiirmees

I also find it annoying, with UEFI_as_firmware_machines, that "boot from ssd immediately"-thing. Many times i had to keep F-buttons down in the keyboard while pushing powerbutton. That seems to be a reliable way to get that configuration- or boot-menu.

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2024-08-18 20:51:57)

#14 2024-08-22 02:11:29

zapper

Framework is addressing part of this. The constant waste and their hinges are repairable. Also MNT Reform is doing somrthing similar but with ARM64 so far.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#15 2024-08-23 21:12:33

zapper

Btw, restricted boot is more accurate then secure boot for UEFI.

Also, the idea of having network stack underneath or OS is just plain stupid.

This is why people need to say  no to doing drugs.

Not including marijuana but stronger ones. wink

Last edited by zapper (2024-08-23 21:12:57)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#16 2024-08-24 01:27:19

UnixMan1230

@Carolina In My Mind

Way ahead  of you. I currently run a thinkpad t430s, have been almost a year. Its the fact that a laptop built in 2022 and cost almost a grand couldn't be worth a damn that I was really aggravated about. For me the main thing is the touchpad. So big, bulky, and buttonless...its a pain in the ass to use.

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#17 2024-08-25 06:26:38

zapper

@UnixMan1230 That's why I disable the touchpad and use trackpoint on the keyboard. It works like a charm and is my thing.

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer