The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-31 16:05:28

delgado

Package name extension "t64" in excalibur

The day before yesterday I switched my main installation to excalibur. A lot of package names seems to have suddenly a "t64"-string appended, e.g.: "SomePackageName" vs. "SomePackageNamet64". Most of them seem to be libraries, but not sure.

What's the matter with that?

#2 2024-03-31 17:04:53

steve_v

Re: Package name extension "t64" in excalibur

64bit time transition.
Now is not a particularly good time to volunteer your main rig as a testing/unstable guinea pig, at least not if you want to get anything (besides being a guinea pig) done.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2024-03-31 19:40:55

delgado

Thanks for the info.
The last years with devuan/debian testing were quite convincing, but I'm going back to daedalus by now.

#4 2024-04-26 08:32:45

stultumanto

I came here to search for information on this issue because I noticed today that one of my Excalibur installations had 68 packages held back. Running a dist-upgrade would clear the holds, but would also remove dozens of packages without installing replacements. I'm not sure whether I should wait for this issue to be resolved, or run the dist-upgrade now before it gets any worse. Discussions around the web are confusing and contradictory. Some say to wait, while others say get it over with. Is anyone else dealing with this issue?

Update: The number of held back packages jumped to 120 today. If this continues, it may end up being easier to just reinstall these systems from scratch. I'm kind of surprised no one else is dealing with this issue. Maybe it's because I installed a lot of development libraries when I was building the latest version of GNUstep/libobjc2. I do have one system that has no held back packages at all, but there's almost nothing installed on it but the base system and a simple C+X11 toolchain.

Last edited by stultumanto (2024-04-27 23:23:40)

#5 2024-04-28 00:37:02

EDX-0

in march i had to move from devuan unstable to testing because the t64 migration wasn't kind to my system and i needed some extra time running as i was, i really want to avoid a re-install but seems like that is what i will have to do.

#6 2024-04-28 01:06:06

stultumanto

I went ahead and did the dist-upgrade on two systems, and everything seems OK so far. In both cases, only gdb was uninstalled without a replacement. It wasn't clear why. I was able to reinstall it immediately after the upgrade.

One system got up to 154 held packages before I ran the upgrade. That's almost 120 new packages released in less than 24 hours. It seems there's a big push going on right now to get the transition done, maybe before the end of the month. When I checked 24 hours ago, the dist-upgrade would have removed some really important applications, including LibreOffice. The list of removals was much shorter today. There's probably no harm in waiting a while longer if you aren't in a hurry to upgrade.

Board footer