The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 21:32:51

oui

live-iso 64 bit testing and experimental

After the ugly discussion about DAEDALUS (in the right language, Greek, DAIDALOS), I will renounce now to use those idiotic complicate distro name and prefer the generic names "stable", "testing" and "experimental".

This evening, I have 3 refracta snapshots working well on my main PC, each seeming to work well and doing not cause protests from Apt or Synaptic for

• Refracta stable (equivalent from bookworm)

• Refracta testing

• Refracta experimental (equivalent from SID but at an other ending stage)

for AMD64 on my PC

with

• KDE base

• Konqueror

• Konsole

• Kate and Kwrite

• Calligrawords and Calligrasheets

• a lot of tools (aptitude, connection managers, didiwiki, partitionmanager (KDE ¨gparted), synaptic

a great but small selection of real KDE apt's, not those ugly firefox and O"ne"Office being now in absolutely to find as monopolists in ALL distros also if they disclass those great works like KDE, the environment that did make Linux equivalent from M$-Windows in the professional world!

probably are those snapshots not perfect. probably I will next meet difficulties (next update etc.). I will try to nurse the one made of Ceres. The middle is a necessary level to obtain the Ceres one. But it is also probably more secure. The first (stable) is even the real stable version being usable without restriction...

They are different from my last trying actions as far as I did no use steps any more:

I did install Refracta nox as published here on this forum

add only one unique long string line «apt install this that more etc» with all the content

and did get a perfect "stable" installation :-) !

and I did simply update / upgrade!

and all works well now (but it was a long evolution!)...

The paint app is lximage-qt as, although small, it is powerful to make screensnapshots and more with then (I would have prefered some real kde app!).

Next steps:

perhaps port that on 32 bit (if all the stuff is present or compatible with the different levels! It is one of the great problems... «Youd did select a bad solution etc. ... and Sinaptic / Aptitude can't help»).

and probably adapt the style to debootstrap (where my own knowledge and experience are weak, this will be long... I would willing need some help!) both 32 an 64 bit if it is possible (can debootstrap "pin" if packages are not present at the more new level?).

The actual 64 bit ISO snapshot stable is ONLY 1.3 GB
testing 1.6 GB
experimental 1.6 GB.

The start completely in RAM from the version stable on my PC needs only 2 minutes 30 seconds from USB-stick (and probably be a lot better starting directly from HD!) so it is a real usuable light live KDE! After that, you have a really high speed Linux with KDE and can unplug the USB-stick to use the connector place differently or protect it against external chocks etc.!

Using his own /etc/fstab to mount his data partition on the harddisk, the user can hold and save what he want but after shutdown, no trace in his /home/user any more! It is the perfect discretion...

Last edited by oui (2024-03-27 12:38:21)

#2 2024-03-26 21:45:27

oui

Re: live-iso 64 bit testing and experimental

the installations string for Refracta stable:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install alsa-tools aptitude cups deborphan didiwiki gpm info samba xorg network-manager dbus-session-bus libteam-utils polkitd-pkla  policykit-1 modemmanager ppp dnsmasq-base dns-root-data libmbim-utils libqmi-utils usb-modeswitch wireless-regdb comgt wvdial network-manager-openvpn kde-plasma-desktop konsole konqueror  synaptic partitionmanager mgp qml-module-org-kde-kitemmodels calligrawords calligrasheets lximage-qt
sudo reboot
# after reboot
# if you want, you can remove the old kernel (if the new is in use!); use synaptic (search linux-image and mark the image to remove and do it!) before you make the snapshot
sudo refractasnapshot
# if want more, next level, testing
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
# change the -> daedalus <- into -> testing <- in the first line
# comment the 2 next lines being not usable in testing or experimental
sudo apt update
sudo synaptic
# in synaptic, mark all and execute and open the windows for details to see the questions!
# I did keep the precedent versions of the scripts. If difficulties appear, you can remake taking the other choices...
sudo reboot
# after reboot
sudo apt autoremove
# probably not only one time!
deborphan
# look which packages are orphaned and remove but with prudence!
# test that level
sudo refracta snapshot
# you can continue to -> ceres <- ! It is the same...
# yesterday all packages were present for all dependencies! synaptic did find solutions,
# but in ceres, it can each day be different!
# a lot of packages are coming from stable and testing and 
# synaptic use then to complete the dependencies as good solution! it is normal!
# actualize please often your ceres version but don't forget to make a snapshot before you do that!

I did add initially lightdm

but do it after testing if it works well!

or do it not: This booting is not so beautiful attraktiv but you start with a normal command line login (or not, without login using the refractainstaller option, and with a simple "go" after full installation, into the graphic environment and are (very more) free if you meet problems and will try to solve then in command line (note: you can also use CRL+ALT+F2 ;-) !).

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/go

Last edited by oui (2024-03-27 11:27:44)

#3 2024-03-26 21:50:40

oui

you can of course use a part of above installations way to install xfce4 etc.! Why not!

#4 2024-03-27 18:16:39

oui

I did upload 2 times one of the ISOs (testing) here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/justminikde/

On Seamonkey, I have toil to open my own upload... Perhaps you have more luck!

Board footer