The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-02 23:24:55

oui

save my refractasnapshot

I did make so much snapshots in december because my kernel problems, I can not recognize some goods snapshots any more. but the good ones are on a usb stick.

how to rebuld the iso using the files on the stick?

how to realize that not one the stick but directly on a partition on the hard disk?

#2 2024-03-04 21:59:35

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: save my refractasnapshot

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. If you want to change the contents of a live-iso, the easiest way is to install it into a VM, make the changes you want, and then make a new snapshot.

A less easy method is to mount the iso, mount filesystem.squashfs, copy both, chroot the filesystem and make the changes, re-squash the filesystem and then use xorriso (or other iso software) to make the new iso file.

#3 2024-03-05 21:00:37

oui

Hi fsmithred
thank you for your help!
I use this way but it is very long.
Long time, I was not a friend of USB sticks because in 90 % of the tries they did not do what I did expect!
Until I read and discover in an helping answer that
dd
make it always easy if you format correctly the stick, and that is
- until 4 GB: fat 16 + boot flag
- higher: fat 32 + boot flag
and since I know that I did never more had some stick which not goes correctly!

The result is:

I did buy a lot of cheap FAST mini USB cards (but not micro! for that reason they where really cheap, extremely cheap)...

But usb cards have a terrible propriety: they are (about all) black and have no writing field but an sticker. I you try to bring the sticker away, the surface become bad and you are not certain you can't damage the card reader... You can't not really note somewhat clear on the surface of an USB card to recognize it later!

And I am in this situation! My problem with the bad kernel was so, that I did make snapshots and snapshots and snapshots and die save then on cards to test then. And I can not any more see which one are good and which one are bad.

But I need cards again as the kernels, today, works again properly also on my PC's to restart my activity. So I will transfer per CLI the content of cards into ISO's as I don't have those ISO's as ISO files any more on the HD.

#4 2024-03-16 17:13:46

czeekaj

It is possible to make an Iso from live usb.

You must edit your refractasnapshot.conf
Change your working directory to a physical location otherwise unless it's really small it will try to write it to the live system.
So mount a physical hard drive
for example

snapshot_dir="/target/home/snapshot"
work_dir="/target/home/work"
efi_work="${work_dir}/efi-files"

Also make sure to add /target/* to your excludes list or else you will start making a live iso potentially bloated with more isos smile

#5 2024-03-26 22:12:19

oui

thank you very much!

Board footer