The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-19 21:25:28

recklessswing

Is wayland out of the question for devuan?

Wayland is buggy as hell since release, with some minor tweaks firefox works, kind of. Do the devs not care about wayland at all? If it's not a goal, that's alright. Just wanna know for sure.

#2 2024-02-19 21:37:04

rolfie

Re: Is wayland out of the question for devuan?

Well, Wayland does not depend on systemd, so its not in the focus of the Devuan dev team.

#3 2024-02-20 11:56:43

Altoid

Hello:

recklessswing wrote:

Wayland is buggy as hell since release ...

From what I have read on-line, this seems to have been general opinion from the start, then morphed into common knowledge.

Which begs the question: why bother with it al all?

I have been using X-Server from when I installed my first Linux many years ago.
Never had an issue that could not be diagnosed with the /var/log/Xorg.0.log printout and proper research, to be later solved with judicious editing of the /etc/X11xorg.conf.

The same perfectly working *.conf has been in use (with virtually the same three/four monitor setup) through no less than four different distributions and multiple Devuan dist-upgrades. All that since mid 2018 (IIRC).

But I digress.
Have a read here.

probonopd wrote:

Wayland solves no issues I have but breaks almost everything I need. Even the most basic, most simple things (like xkill) - in this case with no obvious replacement. And usually it stays broken, because the Wayland folks mostly seem to care about Automotive, Gnome, maybe KDE - and alienating everyone else (e.g., people using just an X11 window manager or something like GNUstep) in the process.

Wayland proponents make it seem like Wayland is "the successor" of Xorg, when in fact it is not. It is merely an incompatible alternative, and not even one that has (nor wants to have) feature parity (missing features). And unlike X11 (the X Window System), Wayland protocol designers actively avoid the concept of "windows" (making up incomprehensible words like "xdg_toplevel" instead).

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-02-20 12:51:57)

#4 2024-02-20 12:18:28

stopAI

Do the devs not care about wayland at all?

Wayland is a constantly and constantly changing system. if you want comfortable experiences with wayland, then Devuan stable (and Debian) is not that system. I would suggest traying Artix.

Although sway works great in Devuan, but Firefox-esr only works with xayland, and if you try to use the latest Firefox, it will work naturally through wayland, but it very buggy. This is because the version of wayland in Devuan Daedalus is old, and the latest versions of wayland work fine with the latest Firefox. So here we are dealing with a vicious circle…

Last edited by stopAI (2024-02-20 12:19:46)

Board footer