The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-28 21:52:44

γραφω λογον

Samba/filesharing problems

Samba worked just fine for quite awhile after Jessie was released and then suddenly stopped working. I understand that this is because of security issues in the program that needed to be patched. Currently, I go to "network" in PCManFM and get a message that the operation is not supported. Gigolo doesn't help. This happens with both of my Devuan machines and one older Trisquel (ubuntu fork) install.

A fresh Trisquel install can connect to the server fine and also to the the Devuan machines that cannot connect to it or the server.. There are no Windows machines in my home network any more so it might be time to switch to a better filesharing program anyway.

What I use(d) Samba for was to access and edit files, stream music and video, keep an eye on what my minor child is doing on the hard drive of a shared computer, etc. I'd love to be able to do what I need to do with something less frustrating than Samba if you can point me in the direction of a more secure filesharing program that is intuitive and reasonably well documented.

Alternatively, if you have time to help me troubleshoot Samba, I would also be greatly appreciative.

TIA

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

#2 2017-08-28 22:31:40

fungus
Website

Re: Samba/filesharing problems

Your minor child is booting with tails messing up your samba libraries.

Last edited by fungus (2017-08-28 22:33:08)

#3 2017-08-29 01:46:20

fsmithred
Administrator

If you just want to access the server from the local network, nfs will work. You can either add the nfs shares to the fstabs of the clients, or you could install autofs and set it up so the shares get mounted automatically when someone tries to access those files. There's also sshfs, which is more secure, but won't work right for audio/video (it plays on the server instead of the client.)

Look for a howto on setting up nfs on debian. Same for autofs if you want that.

#4 2017-08-29 04:00:36

γραφω λογον

Thank you, fsmithred.

#5 2017-08-29 05:22:12

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

fsmithred wrote:

There's also sshfs, which is more secure, but won't work right for audio/video (it plays on the server instead of the client.)

What does that mean? afaik sshfs is just a mounted (remote) file system for the client??
In fact as recent as last week, I used it with my mplayer on the client.

#6 2017-08-29 10:49:18

fsmithred
Administrator

It means I'm confused and thinking of playing media files with a plain ssh connection instead of using sshfs. The latter works correctly and plays on the local machine. Thanks.

#7 2017-08-29 22:05:56

greenjeans
Website

fsmithred wrote:

If you just want to access the server from the local network, nfs will work. You can either add the nfs shares to the fstabs of the clients, or you could install autofs and set it up so the shares get mounted automatically when someone tries to access those files. There's also sshfs, which is more secure...   (edited to remove wrong info.)

Look for a howto on setting up nfs on debian. Same for autofs if you want that.

Seconding this, nfs has worked great for me in the past. Easy to learn too even for a guy like me that's not really into the networking end of things.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#8 2017-08-31 17:46:13

γραφω λογον

nfs it is, then.

I momentarily had sftp working, but when I rebooted the Devuan machines it was Samba all over again.

I did dig up an old Jessie install from before LTS was released that is a working samba server with an /etc/apt/sources.list that pulls Samba from the Debian reps, but that's a band-aid, not a solution.

Greenjeans and I tend to be on the same page a lot as Veteran Unix Users (not administrators) so nfs will probably be a bit more my speed for now and I can figure out what went wrong with sftp at my leisure.

Board footer