The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-08 14:43:24

JWM-Kit
Website

terminal title parameter

I had the idea that all terminals supported the -T parameter used to set the window title.  It has come to my attention that sakura does not.  Instead it uses lowercase -t as the parameter.

Is sakura alone in this behavior or are there other terminal emulators that use a different parameter, or don’t even support setting the title.

This is an important issue since this incompatibility could easily break programs and scripts with terminals that do not support it.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2024-02-08 14:43:55)

#2 2024-02-08 16:06:58

JWM-Kit
Website

Re: terminal title parameter

Having read the man pages for several terminal emulators I have come to the conclusion that there is no standard.  Which really is sad. Most of them do support either -T or -t. Simply recognizing both upper and lower case T for the argument would be a giant leap forward.

#3 2024-02-08 22:46:54

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I can't answer your question. Sorry.

However, I've tried many terminals...and it has been a bane to me. At the end of the day, I decided to just use xterm (since it comes in automagically when building my own system). Took A LOT of searches on how to get it customized to my liking...you know...default font, font size, transparency, etc...

Now...after figuring out all of that fluff with an .Xresources file in my home folder and a line for transparency in my picom file, I can't imagine using another terminal. tongue

I know that doesn't help you, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish??? Sorry. smile

#4 2024-02-09 12:55:42

JWM-Kit
Website

I know that doesn't help you, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish?

Not everyone uses the same terminal, so if I share code with others that launches the user's default terminal emulator then that code needs to be compatible with as many terminals as possible, hopefully all of them.  If the parameters used are not consistent across all terminals then the code will break.

Setting the title is only cosmetic and is not that important.  For the sake of compatibility I guess I'll just leave ti out for now.

#5 2024-02-09 13:38:37

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Ahhh...gotcha. Yes sir, that must be frustrating. Best of luck.

#6 2024-02-09 18:07:21

quickfur

Unfortunately in cases like these the best way is probably to find out which actual terminal it is (e.g. use `namei` or equivalent to find where x-terminal-emulator actually resolves to), then have a table of known terminals to option names to map the option correctly.

A hassle, of course. But ultimately solvable.

#7 2024-02-09 18:34:46

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I'm on the other side...

Is this a personal preference...a cosmetic feature that you would like to have on your spin?

I've just installed Sakura and three other terminals without any customization (Kitty, RXVT, and QTerminal). The title bars (including xterm) all read the same...

tap@miyolinux

There's probably a script you could write that would do what you're wanting...or setting the terminal's title bar name with a .bashrc file???

I don't know. All that I do know is that I have never personally paid attention to the terminal's title bar name until this. Hahaha! tongue

I've looked at the configuration files for each one, but none of them gave me anything about setting the title bar name. sad

I don't even have a title bar on my terminal on my Openbox and JWM systems. wink

Good luck! smile

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2024-02-09 18:37:42)

#8 2024-02-09 20:25:21

JWM-Kit
Website

@quickfur
I had the thought of creating a dictionary for terminals and the parameter.  If a terminal was not in the dictionary just don't set the title. For now I think I'll just not set the title.

@The-Amnesiac-Philosopher
To be clear this is not about "general" settings for the terminal, but for a creating a launcher that starts the terminal and a specific task.

My goal was to set the title to the name of the task the terminal would be running. To clarify I mean the actual name, not the executable name.   Most terminal will set the title to the executable name. Which is close enough. So it's not worth writing a bunch of code to implement.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2024-02-09 20:30:04)

#9 2024-02-09 20:30:13

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Oh.

#10 2024-03-03 23:02:35

stultumanto

Not sure if this helps with your particular situation, but you can change the title of a window with the WM_NAME atom. I edited the previous version of this post because I provided a long example that did this with XSetWindowProperty(), but it turns out there's a dedicated function XFetchame() that does this much more easily. The documentation is here:
https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/ … E_Property
If you first need to identify the windows that need their name changed, you can use XGetClassHint() to get the unaltered application name. (Terminals will usually update the title with the working directory, etc.)

Last edited by stultumanto (2024-03-05 21:35:50)

Board footer