The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-02-05 12:49:40

stopAI

Re: Announcement of the OpenMATE desktop environment

Ok. Your new link (i mean  this link https://openmate-project.org), not working. Server not found.

#27 2024-02-06 01:01:17

zapper

Owned by microsoft yes, but if you think gitlab is better, no it is not. Its owned by google if I recall correctly.

Codeberg however is good.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#28 2024-02-06 01:05:29

zapper

I think changing from openmate might be wise... mate is a trademark isnt it?

Maybe the repo got taken down because of that? idk

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#29 2024-02-06 03:38:52

swanson

The working link is here https://github.com/OpenMATE-Project.

I'm an old grumpy guy too, but I'm not complaining about OpenMate. Instead, I'd like to offer my humble help in so much as a tester or whatever. I'm not a coder or dev in any way, but I'd really like to try OpenMate and test it.

What is good about Codeberg and how does it work?

#30 2024-02-06 15:19:49

boughtonp
Website

Microsoft does not respect its users - it treats them as a resource to be spied upon and exploited.

This is true for Microsoft Windows, and it is true for Microsoft GitHub - there have been numerous demonstrations of this for anyone paying attention.

Frankly, I struggle to comprehend how people who otherwise care enough to use Devuan can be ok with GitHub.

-

Codeberg is one of several alternatives, and to see what's good about them one can simply start with looking at the homepage:

codeberg.org wrote:

Codeberg is a collaboration platform providing Git hosting and services for free and open source software, content and projects.

NON-PROFIT
Codeberg is maintained by the non-profit organization Codeberg e.V., based in Berlin, Germany. For us, supporting the commons comes first.
Its future is in the hands of its users. You can help too!

COMMUNITY
We are more than just Git hosting: Our community is comprised of like-minded developers, artists, academics, hobbyists and professionals.
We celebrate free culture, openness and creativity.

RESPECT
No tracking. No third-party cookies. No profiteering. Everything runs on servers that we control. Your data is not for sale.
Hosted in Europe, we welcome the world.

In addition, they have a migration feature to make it easier to migrate existing projects away from GitHub (or GitLab/others), though obviously for a new project one doesn't need to use that.

Last edited by boughtonp (2024-02-06 15:20:26)

3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

#31 2024-02-06 18:12:20

aluma

There are very few developers of projects of this level.
And let's start discussing their choice of tools, completely running away. smile

As for the rest, yes, Codeberg opens even faster in the browser and ublock does not respond to it.

#32 2024-02-06 20:26:43

zapper

codeberg doesn't have much crap in it yes, but also, it looks like it might be one of the more user friendly ones that is libre.

That was why I suggested it.

Peace Be With us All!

#33 2024-02-06 20:28:43

zapper

Google also doesn't respect its user either. So github and gitlab are both effectively bad. Out of the two, I am shocked to say this, but "microsoft" is actually the less problematic one. Well, at least on a user agent sniffing level for sure.

Bonkers man...

Peace Be With us All!

#34 2024-03-21 13:24:17

mrnhmath

Repos are up.

#35 2024-03-21 13:31:27

mrnhmath

GitHub was chosen simply as a means to kickstart the project, I do not and will never endorse any corporate-driven initiatives. Please keep off-topic discussion to a minimum.

The new rebased sources are up. The first stage will consist in carefully renaming the original GNOME sources to match MATE ones, like nautilus -> caja. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

https://github.com/OpenMATE-Project

#36 2024-03-21 14:08:57

UnixMan1230

@mrnhmath may I suggest...codeberg?

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#37 2024-03-21 22:34:55

zapper

@mrnhmath fair enough, but yeah, I agree with unixman1230

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer