The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-12 11:15:42

Fruchtenstein

[SOLVED] Broken update

Hello,
I had problems with the last update on my Excalibur installation. I ran the usual update/upgrade sequence yesterday (Jan 11) and after reboot kernel 6.5.0.5 booted to busybox. 6.5.0.4 did the trick and I managed to find out that the problems were probably related to /usr merge (usrmerge package is not installed). For example, files like /sbin/modprobe, /sbin/modinfo, /sbin/dmsetup were missing. I restored them as symlinks to their /usr/sbin counterparts, but now update-initramfs keeps failing on /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/dmsetup, one of possible reasons being that /usr/lib/udev/rules.d contained only a subset of files in /lib/udev/rules.d. Some other issues with update-initramfs, for example, mdadm errors, I kinda 'solved' by removing mdadm from the system.

What do you think would be the right way of finding and fixing all possible related issues? Right now I still can boot to 6.5.0.4 and keep on working almost as if nothing has happened. Well, except for being unable to run update-initramfs, maybe, and it IS a huge problem for the future.

OTOH, it seems that it may be not the only problem. So, I had to recreate /dev/net/ directory and /dev/net/tun device manually. Still can't find any signs of what went wrong with the upgrade.

Last time I updated the system was on Dec 25 and the whole thing was fine and smooth.

Last edited by Fruchtenstein (2024-01-12 11:23:41)

#2 2024-01-12 11:29:49

mirrortokyo

Re: [SOLVED] Broken update

Have a look at my postings starting at https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46802#p46802

I more than strongly recommend that you have a bootable "desktop live" image from https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan on USB or DVD (I used a DVD+RW disc) before proceeding and be familiar with booting it and mounting your existing root partition from the desktop live. Remember that if you need to create symbolic links on your existing hard disk while mounted on the desktop live image, that you will need to make relative symbolic links (e.g. ln -s ../usr/bin/foo foo ) so that you can verify that they work before shutting down the desktop live and booting into your normal system.

For udev I manually moved everything from /lib/udev to /usr/lib/udev

My /bin directory contains a heap of symbolic links to /usr/bin and likewise my /lib directory contains a heap of symbolic links to /usr/lib and so does my /sbin directory to /usr/sbin

(I had tried installing package usrmerge on my main pc but it gave error messages so I resorted to migrating manually).

Last edited by mirrortokyo (2024-01-12 11:36:16)

#3 2024-01-12 12:55:47

Fruchtenstein

Yes, that's it, for sure. I forgot to mention issues with 'sed', too. And I missed insmod, lsmod and rmmod.

Bootable USB drive is one of those things that I create every once in a while and then never can find it. But now that I can boot to an older kernel, I guess, I may cope without it.

I feel an urge to install usrmerge, but not until I find or make a bootable drive, of course.

Thanks!

Last edited by Fruchtenstein (2024-01-12 12:56:54)

#4 2024-01-12 14:58:14

rolfie

Updated my two Excalibur VMs about 2 weeks ago. Had to delete some symlinks the program complained about. Since then both VMs did update fine, no issues at all. Both encrypted, one with Mate, one with Cinnamon.

#5 2024-01-13 14:57:14

OlegShtch

Did you get Xorg and libinput breakage during that /ust updage?

Last edited by OlegShtch (2024-01-13 15:01:11)

#6 2024-01-14 15:19:55

Fruchtenstein

OlegShtch, I don't use display managers and launch X by running startx from command line. In this case I had so many problems with logging in that I never made it that far smile

Board footer