The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-28 12:32:40

JohnSmith

Brightness adjustment not working on AMD apu laptop

Hello, new devuan user here coming from manjaro. Installed on my laptop after multiple attempts since somehow it would try to overwrite the usb stick and not the selected drive but that not the issue here. The main problem is brightness not working, i have tried sudoing the xbrightness thing and light which are both installed. In the etc/brightness/ folder is nothing, the xorg.conf file does not exist since sudo nano-ing it  shows empty file. I have tried modifiing grub file like seen in some ubuntu forums but to no avail, i have tried hard power reseting which also does not work. I have an HP laptop with AMD A4-9120 radeon r3 ,4 compute cores 2c+2g x 2 ; 8 GB of ram and a 64bit install with kernerl 6.1.0-13-amd64. The other post i saw here does not help.

#2 2023-11-28 13:48:37

aluma

Re: Brightness adjustment not working on AMD apu laptop

I have a netbook with an AMD E-300 processor, but DE Trinity TDE is installed.
The brightness is adjusted without problems by the tdepowersave GUI program. At the same time, it contains all the power settings.

Regards.

#3 2023-11-28 14:24:42

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Welcome to Devuan!

I use the brightnessctl package. Works well for my needs. smile

apt install brightnessctl
man brightnessctl

Good luck on whichever path you take.

EDIT: A couple of examples...

user@devuan:~$ brightnessctl info
Device 'radeon_bl0' of class 'backlight':
        Current brightness: 255 (100%)
        Max brightness: 255
user@devuan:~$ brightnessctl set 100
Updated device 'radeon_bl0':
        Current brightness: 100 (39%)

EDIT #2: Instead of whole numbers, you can also use percentages if desired; such as...

user@devuan:~$ brightnessctl set 80%
Updated device 'radeon_bl0':
        Current brightness: 204 (80%)

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2023-11-28 15:29:31)

#4 2023-11-28 22:04:00

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I rarely adjust screen brightness (hence, why I use the console for it)...but I decided to get all fancy-n-stuff tongue ...and made a simple GUI for brightnessctl with YAD. You can't really see the GUI window due to the background of the forum though.

Of course, I made it for my system...so if anyone is interested, you might need to adjust it for your needs if wanted. smile

2023-11-28-164315-260x300-scrot.png

Click a button, and screen-brightness adjusts to that percentage. wink

Requires yad brightnessctl papirus-icon-theme as the code shows below. If you don't have papirus icons, I don't have a stinkin' clue if the icons will show in the GUI window. tongue

Here's the YAD code...

#!/usr/bin/env bash

yad --form --columns=1 --width=260 --borders=10 --title="Screen Brightness" --buttons-layout=center --height=300 --window-icon="/usr/share/icons/Papirus/symbolic/status/display-brightness-high-symbolic.svg" --center --text-align=center --undecorated --text="
Temporarily change the 
display brightness.
" \
--field="  100%!display-brightness-high-symbolic":fbtn "brightnessctl set 255" \
--field="  75%!display-brightness-medium-symbolic":fbtn "brightnessctl set 191" \
--field="  50%!display-brightness-low-symbolic":fbtn "brightnessctl set 128" \
--field="  25%!display-brightness-off-symbolic":fbtn "brightnessctl set 64" \
--button="Close!window-close-symbolic" \

Board footer