The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-02 00:45:01

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 289

Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

Hi everyone! If I may ask a question, is it a serious problem for a user outside of the United States to use a US keyboard layout on a live system when trying out a distro? Can you try out a distro with a US keyboard layout without many problems?

I've tried several other keyboard layouts, and for the most part, they seem to follow the US keyboard layout (except for some special characters).

I'm looking at a keyboard switcher, but it only allows for three keyboard layouts.

Any input would be appreciated. smile


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#2 2017-08-02 01:36:05

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 444

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

Test to see if you can add a layout on the fly in a live session. You can with the panel plugins for xfce and lxde.

Offline

#3 2017-08-02 03:16:30

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 289

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

fsmithred wrote:

Test to see if you can add a layout on the fly in a live session. You can with the panel plugins for xfce and lxde.

Thanks fsr. Yes, those panel plugins definitely work in live sessions. I'm still trying to stick with the tint2 panel though. I've found an application that definitely works...gxkb. However, gxkb appears to only allow for three layouts. I've contacted the developer to see if there's a way to add more, but I haven't heard back yet. It works just like the Xfce and LXDE panel plugins though...able to easily switch on the fly.

I've also found xxkb. It takes a lot more configuration though...and I haven't tried it yet to see how many layouts can be added.

I know it would be really convenient for live users to be able to use their native keyboard layout if possible, but at the same time, I would like to know if it's a "deal-breaker" if they can only use the US layout.


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#4 2017-08-02 19:41:54

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 355
Website

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

Tagging this thread as this is of interest to me too, I need to learn more about setting a system up for other keyboards, locales, and languages.


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#5 2017-08-02 21:55:12

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 37

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

MiyoLinux wrote:

I know it would be really convenient for live users to be able to use their native keyboard layout if possible, but at the same time, I would like to know if it's a "deal-breaker" if they can only use the US layout.

I'd definitely consider it a deal breaker for people used to German keyboard layouts. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Germany.svg

Offline

#6 2017-08-02 22:07:10

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 289

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

Okay, I heard back from the gxkb dev. He said that because of X11 protocol limitations, the most layouts possible are 4. I can only get three to work on gxkb though.

msi wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

I know it would be really convenient for live users to be able to use their native keyboard layout if possible, but at the same time, I would like to know if it's a "deal-breaker" if they can only use the US layout.

I'd definitely consider it a deal breaker for people used to German keyboard layouts. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Germany.svg

Thank you for the input msi! It's quite a coincidence that you responded. When I looked at the top three countries that have downloaded MiyoLinux, they are...

1. United Kingdom
2. United States
3. Anonymous Proxy (whatever that means) tongue
4. Germany

My present intentions are to use those three (unless I can find something different) and give a quick guide on how to change the layout for other countries in the live session.

Thanks again msi, I really do appreciate the input. smile


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#7 2017-08-03 09:31:32

FOSSuser
Member
From: Surrey/Hants border UK
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 167

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

Having a US keyboard is a nuisance for us Brits, but not insurmountable, just have to poke around to see where keys have been put, most annoying are @ | ~ # smile

(If I need another layout, I use setxkbmap &/or loadkeys, usually works.)

Offline

#8 2017-08-03 18:44:15

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 289

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

FOSSuser wrote:

Having a US keyboard is a nuisance for us Brits, but not insurmountable, just have to poke around to see where keys have been put, most annoying are @ | ~ # smile

(If I need another layout, I use setxkbmap &/or loadkeys, usually works.)

Thanks FOSS! I appreciate your input friend! smile

I can certainly understand the dilemma.


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#9 2017-08-16 02:21:05

shevy
Member
Registered: 2017-08-16
Posts: 7

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

> 3. Anonymous Proxy (whatever that means)

This may be some VPN and/or Tor downloads? Perhaps china or Iran or something like that.

> Having a US keyboard is a nuisance for us Brits, but not insurmountable, just have to poke
> around to see where keys have been put, most annoying are @ | ~ #

I myself use the german keyboard layout but write almost exclusive in english all day, give or
take; about 80% of my words typed in are english.

I'd wish that this distinction would not exist though... US keyboard or UK keyboard or the
different spelling. I was raised with UK english and grew up, sort of, with Monty Python so
the UK lifestyle is closer, but the US really overshadows most presence on the WWW. Just
take something simple like "color" in CSS, there is no alias called "colour" so I have to
use the US spelling. sad Or take youtube videos - many more from the USA than from the
UK.

In the long run, though, I'd really really really wish that the UK and US could unify and agree
on ONE system to rule them all. So to simplfiy everything!

It won't happen because of this though:

https://xkcd.com/927/

Last edited by shevy (2017-08-16 02:21:49)

Offline

#10 2017-08-16 02:49:21

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 289

Re: Advice needed from non-US users regarding keyboard layouts

shevy wrote:

> 3. Anonymous Proxy (whatever that means)

This may be some VPN and/or Tor downloads? Perhaps china or Iran or something like that.

> Having a US keyboard is a nuisance for us Brits, but not insurmountable, just have to poke
> around to see where keys have been put, most annoying are @ | ~ #

I myself use the german keyboard layout but write almost exclusive in english all day, give or
take; about 80% of my words typed in are english.

I'd wish that this distinction would not exist though... US keyboard or UK keyboard or the
different spelling. I was raised with UK english and grew up, sort of, with Monty Python so
the UK lifestyle is closer, but the US really overshadows most presence on the WWW. Just
take something simple like "color" in CSS, there is no alias called "colour" so I have to
use the US spelling. sad Or take youtube videos - many more from the USA than from the
UK.

In the long run, though, I'd really really really wish that the UK and US could unify and agree
on ONE system to rule them all. So to simplfiy everything!

It won't happen because of this though:

https://xkcd.com/927/

Thanks for the input shevy! The latest Miyo releases have US, GB, and DE (Germany) pre-set to aid non-US users. Instructions are included for anyone who may want to use a different layout other than those three.


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

Board footer