The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-13 11:18:24

Marco2G

Kernel version?

Hello everyone!

I'm a first time Devuan user although I have a not quite noobish homelab running on Ubuntu.

Since I want to try something non-systemd, I landed on this distri.

Now I'm trying to create a workstation vm for browsing, mailing, ebanking and the like. Before I get to that, though, I wanted to try and see how good a match this could be for a Ubuntu replacement on my host system.

To that effect I am a bit unsure about the kernel. uname -r tells me that the default kernel from the amd64 install iso is 3.16.43. I'm running my Ubuntu on 4.10 (in preparqation for Threadripper upgrade) and would like to go to 4.12 even.

Is the versioning here completely unrelated or is this kernel old as all hell?

Or is this some kind of LTS kernel still in development and 4.12 is only for systemd? (I am still relatively new to Linux as you can see).

Is there a good howto for me to read to get into Devuan?

Thanks for your input! smile

Marco

#2 2017-08-13 12:07:53

FOSSuser

Re: Kernel version?

Welcome aboard. smile

It is an old kernel, as old as Debian's, but it has all the patches added, there is a new release about to come.
You may want to try out the distro now, then upgrade when we get our new release.
Devuan, has been playing catch up whilst removing systemd, but things are well under way on the next release.

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-08-13 12:10:47)

#3 2017-08-13 12:22:35

Marco2G

Re: Kernel version?

Ah, that explains a few things.

Well, for now I want to see whether Devuan/Enlightenment is the way to go so I'm not all that hung up on the newest kernel... yet big_smile.

Thanks for the info smile

Board footer