The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-02 03:31:36

zapper

[SOLVED] Anyone know how to use privoxy?

I wanted to set its default mode to medium and have it adblock from that mode.

But I don't know what I need to do, to make it work.

Aka, am I supposed to put # behind the cautious one?

Or is it something else? I have no idea...

Anyone who can give me a hint of what such a config would look like, let me know.

It's downright bizarre the way they set up the conf.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#2 2023-05-07 03:15:42

zapper

Re: [SOLVED] Anyone know how to use privoxy?

No answer huh? Damn...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#3 2023-05-07 04:25:48

GlennW

Hi, I just got it working with a socks proxy as well.

In browsers...
privoxy
127.0.0.1:8118

socks5
127.0.0.1:1080 udp

ssh -f -N -D 127.0.0.1:1080 localhost

just trying to mind my own business.

there's probably port forward lines in /etc/sysctl.conf to be set as well... there is for squid_proxy setups.

Last edited by GlennW (2023-05-07 05:37:45)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2023-05-07 15:06:14

User479

I've been using privoxy and its IJB ancestor for close to 25 years yet I don't know if I can be of much help.  I've never gotten real deep in its capabilities and much/all of the HTML-rewriting features are of little use now that most traffic is going over HTTPS.  I can tell you that I've never modified default.action - only user.action.

I haven't tried it but I suspect you would put something like this in user.action:

{+standard.Cautious}
.dev1galaxy.org
.devuan.org

to apply that set of rules to this domain & sub-domains, and the devuan domain & sub-domains as well.  Note that once an action is switched on in the config, it is active for all entries below it until switched off (with {-standard.Cautious} in this case).

My usage is just to limit access to only specific domains.  I block all access via HTTP and HTTPS and then unblock HTTPS to specified domains:

{+block}
.*:80
.*:443

{-block}
.dev1galaxy.org:443
.devuan.org:443

#5 2023-05-08 02:53:10

zapper

To both of you anyone else who will reply, in simple words, I just want to know exactly what I need to change in the config user.action in order to turn on medium mode.

Standard mode is just too weak, for my taste.

Although, their documentation doesn't give me an answer as to how to modify for that.

Peace Be With us All!

#6 2023-05-08 22:52:31

User479

I found this https://www.privoxy.org/gitweb/appendix … 68ace1f2df

that suggests match-all.action has the default settings.  The actions defined in my match-all.action look the same as the standard.Medium definition in default.action so maybe you're already using medium.

#7 2023-05-10 23:41:48

zapper

User479 wrote:

I found this https://www.privoxy.org/gitweb/appendix … 68ace1f2df

that suggests match-all.action has the default settings.  The actions defined in my match-all.action look the same as the standard.Medium definition in default.action so maybe you're already using medium.

Seems I had to enable-edit-actions by changing 0 to 1

then go to here:

http://config.privoxy.org/show-status

And edit user.actions

More info here as to what I mean

https://sourceforge.net/p/ijbswa/support-requests/1754/

I wasn't completely clear on how to edit before of course though, but yeah.

Peace Be With us All!

#8 2023-06-03 12:04:16

MoonDog

Used to use it years back, but a lot of it's ad blocking features are better achieved at the browser level, via say ublock origin.  You can also do a system wide adblock using the hosts files found at https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm which I also tend to deploy as a more blanket effort against the ad companies.

Nowadays I find Ublock with all blocklists enabled gets rid of 95% of all ads, but some keep sneaking through (duckduckgo, facebook).  In the grand scheme of things i don't use the products from FB much so it doesn't bother me.

When i did use Privoxy, I only used defaults.  I think that was probably about 15-20 years back.

Board footer