The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-03 22:09:00

oui

big memory stick 2 TB and refracta (or an other Devuan real or derivat

I did receive today my first big memory stick with 2 Terra Bytes capacity connected with the USB 3 connector of my laptop (having itself only 3/4 TB memory). The stick includes an unique file named «IndexerVolumeGuid». Gparted recognizes a /dev/sdb1 with 1,81 TB free in a size 1,81 TB. Pre used are only 62,47 MB. BootFlag is set on. The file system is named «exfat» by gparted.

I would like to install my REFRACTA daedalus from the new iso proposed since 20230228 to start directly from that memory.

Does it be possible?

What is the safe method to get an good installation with the possibility of course to use the rest of that big memory.

What is the best way to create new partitions (the same way as usual: gparted > create new table >> create one little partition >>> ev. create a casperss-rw >>>> create one or more new data partitions with or without unetbootin or refracta usb)

Can unetbootin be used?

#2 2023-03-03 22:49:44

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: big memory stick 2 TB and refracta (or an other Devuan real or derivat

If you want a regular installation on the new stick, you can treat it like a hard drive. Partition it with gparted and then just install to that drive with refractainstaller. If you want to be able to use that stick on other computers, you'll need to make sure there's a bootloader on it. (and maybe a few other things to do.)

If you want a live-usb with persistence, I recommend using refracta2usb so that you can create a multi-boot live-usb with multiple persistent volumes (either partitions or loopback files). In that case, make the first partition fat32 and big enough to hold all the live-isos you want to use. And then make at least one linux partition for the persistent volume(s).

#3 2023-03-03 23:02:46

andyprough

I think this is talking about an Nvme in an external usb enclosure, which is how I ran Devuan on my main laptop for about a year recently. I installed it normally like @fsmithred said, and I just used the normal grub bootloader. I did not need to use unetbootin to do the installation. It was a nice, fast system - you couldn't tell that it was running off an external USB enclosure, except for the dongle hanging out the side of the laptop. Make sure you are connecting to a fast usb 3.1 port.

#4 2023-03-03 23:31:45

oui

thank you very much for your fast answers. yes, I think about using the system on divers old laptops (all my laptops are old but my main laptop only has USB. as it is an old i7 8 GB 3/4 TB from Dell, I suppose it is not an usb 3.1 port. my next usefull laptop is an old acer emachine AMD64 2 GB 240 GB, but I own also 3 old laptops only with Pentium and max. 2 GB RAM (certain) and small HD. so I install better in i86 as for AMD64... and I suppose that only my main PC has so what exquisite like USB3!

I prefer to install refracta as I am interest in use of refracta snapshot as the stick is very big compared with my actual poor equipment...

the refracta ISO in 32 bit is also only a few days old in Daedalus, so the refracta tools will probably actually really work (last year, as Devuan announces do not appear at distrowatch, I did reinstall to late and it was later not possible for me to amend that problem as I did have yet to much private data in /etc, /root, and /home and have no adequate refracta config.file !

#5 2023-03-04 00:34:25

zapper

oui wrote:

I did receive today my first big memory stick with 2 Terra Bytes capacity connected with the USB 3 connector of my laptop (having itself only 3/4 TB memory). The stick includes an unique file named «IndexerVolumeGuid». Gparted recognizes a /dev/sdb1 with 1,81 TB free in a size 1,81 TB. Pre used are only 62,47 MB. BootFlag is set on. The file system is named «exfat» by gparted.

I would like to install my REFRACTA daedalus from the new iso proposed since 20230228 to start directly from that memory.

Does it be possible?

What is the safe method to get an good installation with the possibility of course to use the rest of that big memory.

What is the best way to create new partitions (the same way as usual: gparted > create new table >> create one little partition >>> ev. create a casperss-rw >>>> create one or more new data partitions with or without unetbootin or refracta usb)

Can unetbootin be used?

Funny you should mention that, I got mine a few weeks ago.

Btw, if you have the right permissions, it can be as simple as using via sudo or root, mkfs.ext3 or mkfs.ext4 or mkfs.vfat + whichever drive you want to format with it.

This is arcane method to do so, but it does work.

As for multi-paritioning, cfdisk /dev/sdrive in root would also work too if you want to do it in a less power intensive method.

Dunno if this helps, but this works on most linux systems probably.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2023-03-04 03:26:30

andyprough

oui wrote:

all my laptops are old but my main laptop only has USB. as it is an old i7 8 GB 3/4 TB from Dell, I suppose it is not an usb 3.1 port. my next usefull laptop is an old acer emachine AMD64 2 GB 240 GB, but I own also 3 old laptops only with Pentium and max. 2 GB RAM (certain) and small HD.

If you are trying to install to a USB drive on usb 2.0 or less, I'm afraid you are probably going to have a system that's too slow to be much use. Some of those machines might have USB 3.0 - that might be fast enough. USB 3.1 is definitely preferred. I could not get mine to boot with the USB C port - you might have better luck if you have a USB C port available.

#7 2023-03-04 09:43:03

Camtaf

Does it say that it is backwards compatible(?) (USB 2.0/USB 1.1), if not it may only work with USB3 ports.

(I've been tempted to try one of these small external drives, but, they used to not be the supposed size, so am still dubious...)

Board footer