The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-03 22:23:18

zapper

Regarding FDE - /Boot and gparted in vms, reason why its in OT below:

I only posted this here, because of one thing specifically, its because I am speaking of doing this with regards to Hyperbola.

Does anyone know how to use gparted, or gpart to disable encryption temporarily in luks, so I can resize the vm, but without increasing the size on  the physical disk but make sure that it is available in the virtual disk.

Right now for example, I have a qcow2 that uses 8.4GB but,  it has 118GB virtual disk size in it.

Reason being, I want to be able to copy the qcow2 to disk whenever needed without any annoying problems, of space getting used up too much.

I also wanted to make a few variants of it.

200GB

465GB/476GB

954GB

and still have the 118GB of course. smile

The non used space though, I don't want to take up physical space on disk though.

Last edited by zapper (2023-02-05 02:35:03)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#2 2023-05-04 19:30:53

nahkhiirmees

Re: Regarding FDE - /Boot and gparted in vms, reason why its in OT below:

For some reason "man crypsetup" sounds like a good idea in that situation. Or at least i don't think that gparted is the right tool. If i remember correctly there may be some options(with command cryptsetup) which have something to do with resizing.

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2023-05-04 20:08:59)

#3 2023-05-05 08:41:03

xinomilo
Unknown

nor sure i understand. so you want to resize luks partition? other partition? there's only one partition?

you can't disable luks temporarily. there are ways to disable completely (under certain circumstances) but not temporarily.
but you can resize luks partition like any other one. involves a few extra steps, but not impossible.

btw, you can use nbd mount for qcow2 image, and gparted on that afterwards.

#4 2023-05-07 03:07:14

zapper

xinomilo wrote:

nor sure i understand. so you want to resize luks partition? other partition? there's only one partition?

you can't disable luks temporarily. there are ways to disable completely (under certain circumstances) but not temporarily.
but you can resize luks partition like any other one. involves a few extra steps, but not impossible.

btw, you can use nbd mount for qcow2 image, and gparted on that afterwards.

That would probably also work. Thanks

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer