The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-13 16:24:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Cinnamon desktop will be unmaintained after bullseye

From the maintainer of the Cinnamon desktop packages for Debian:

I will most probably NOT packaging Cinnamon 5, nor do any real packaging work of Cinnamon for Debian in the future. Of course, I will try to keep maintenance of the current set of packages for Bullseye, but for the next release, I think it is time that someone new steps in

Full blog post here: https://www.preining.info/blog/2021/06/ … in-debian/

Of course bullseye (and hence Devuan chimeara) will be supported for ~5 years so this isn't an immediate problem but it doesn't look good for fans of Mint's bespoke desktop option. Hopefully another developer will step up.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#2 2021-06-13 17:32:35

Camtaf

Re: Cinnamon desktop will be unmaintained after bullseye

Just use Fluxbox..... big_smile

#3 2021-06-13 22:29:16

Nili
Website

I had a good time with Cinnamon when i was a Linux Mint user. It was my first hop on Mint from Ubuntu, well i started with Ubuntu more or less like too many others around 2011. I used to have so much fun tweaking and optimizing Panel Applets
In particular Weather I liked that applet so much, below i made a few comments. This was hmm 2013 or maybe early for me there, that was also the last time i on Linux Mint+Cinnamon. Then a long trip to the different distros i passed.

I have nothing to say only good words and good time i passed with Cinnamon smile

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#4 2021-06-14 13:19:16

bgstack15

Ah, I used Cinnamon back in the day on Fedora! I have never used Linux Mint which is of course the home of Cinnamon. But I have since migrated off of Cinnamon as my DE because Xfce (and separately, fluxbox) are lighter. So Cinnamon is fine, but bulkier than I want. I had even submitted a patch or two to Cinnamon. I guess I hadn't even realized it was an option in Debian/Devuan.

Thanks for the update, hoas!

This space intentionally left blank.

#5 2021-06-29 05:19:17

Caluser2000

You can pull in other desktops in like xfce4 and MATE no worries at all. I generally install both just because of a bit of variety. They both work well with each other as well. Xfce4 uses 80megs of ram when up and running. MATE a tad more.

#6 2021-07-05 22:39:48

Micronaut

Camtaf wrote:

Just use Fluxbox..... big_smile

That's a plain windowing manager, right? I've heard of people running with only a windowing manager wondered how difficult it might be to setup Devuan to do that. Is there a 'package' to install? Or do you have to manually tweak things?

#7 2021-07-08 15:24:25

bgstack15

Well, a window manager primarily does one thing, which is manage the windows that are displayed or can be made available for display! Fluxbox actually includes a few extra features like its own integrated "toolbar" which is what a lot of DEs call a "panel." You can choose which of multiple items can be displayed on the toolbar, such as the list of running windows (the "iconbar" in Fluxbox parlance), and a "system tray" and a clock and a virtual desktop switcher.
Fluxbox as a window manager does also provide menu functionality on the desktop itself, so that you can add launcher entries so you can get to programs. I use a tool I found that generates XDG-compliant menus for Fluxbox: https://github.com/gapan/xdgmenumaker. That means, it reads /usr/share/applications like almost every other menuing program (from XFCE, Gnome, KDE, etc.) out there!

This space intentionally left blank.

Board footer