The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#101 2021-03-19 11:19:39

dice
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Backup entire installed Beowulf w/software + configs + /home?

Glad you got it working Computer Bob. smile

#102 2021-03-19 13:35:41

ComputerBob
Website

dice wrote:

Glad you got it working Computer Bob. smile

Thank you guys!!!! Seriously, YOU GUYS got it working. I just followed instructions.   wink

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views since 1998
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#103 2021-03-19 13:48:26

fsmithred
Administrator

I still want to know what you did to set up autologin so that I fully understand the cause of the problem, in case someone else does the same.

#104 2021-03-19 18:31:13

ComputerBob
Website

fsmithred wrote:

I still want to know what you did to set up autologin so that I fully understand the cause of the problem, in case someone else does the same.

I'm sorry I didn't remember to figure that out yet. I'm using Xfce, with whatever the default login manager is, but I first set it up years ago, in ASCII, and it was automatically upgraded to work when I finally got up the motivation and courage to upgrade ASCII to Beowulf a few weeks ago.

I promise that I will figure out what I did, and where I did it, to make autologin work.    wink

Last edited by ComputerBob (2021-03-19 18:38:34)

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#105 2021-03-19 18:49:23

ComputerBob
Website

Wow, this is incredible! I looked and looked, but I couldn't find the site that had told me how to do my autologin back when I did it. There appear to be many different choices, depending whether you're using Light-DM or slim, or whatever. CONFUSED WAS I.

THEN, I took a chance and looked in my own saved installation notes from back then. And I found the instructions that I had saved, to make it easier to do autologins in the future:

LightDM configuration file is found at /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. Making a backup of the original configuration file is recommended.

Enable autologin

Look up this line in lightdm configuration file, UNCOMMENT IT and add your username.

CHANGE:
#autologin-user=

TO:
autologin-user=computerbob

NOTE: #autologin-user APPEARS IN TWO DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE LIGHTDM.CONF FILE.
THE ONLY ONE THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED IS THE ONE IN WHICH THE EQUALS SIGN APPEARS IMMEDIATELY AFTER #autologin-user=

THE OTHER PLACE THAT IT APPEARS, THE EQUALS SIGN APPEARS AFTER A SPACE, LIKE THIS #autologin-user =
DON'T EDIT THAT LINE - ONLY EDIT THE LINE IN WHICH THE EQUALS SIGN APPEARS IMMEDIATELY AFTER #autologin-user

I'm so glad that my HD has a lot better (and longer) memory than I do!  wink

Last edited by ComputerBob (2021-03-19 18:51:34)

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#106 2021-03-20 01:48:37

fsmithred
Administrator

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Yeah, every different login manager has its own config file where you can set stuff like that. You did it the right way. I'm not sure why it wasn't working right. One of the live-config scripts sets up autologin when you boot the live media, but it should not have done anything if you had autologin already set.

#107 2021-03-20 02:48:11

ComputerBob
Website

I had ASCII on sda1 (installed from scratch to straight gpt partition - no special secure boot or anything) for the past several years. To make sure that I still remembered how to install Devuan, I installed Beowulf (a brand new simple - not advanced install), and got it all configured, on a separate partition.

Once I was confident that that freshly-installed Beowulf was working great, on the separate partition, I waited  a few days, until  I got enough confidence to "risk" trashing my "perfect" existing ASCII install by doing an upgrade-in-place of it to Beowulf, still on sda1. I was very, very pleased with how quickly that upgrade process went, and how correct its results were.

I think that, earlier in this thread, I said that I had installed Beowulf on sda1 from scratch, but tonight, I remembered that, even though I had done that on a separate partition, the Beowulf that I've been using on sda1 USED TO BE ASCII, and was upgraded to Beowulf, preserving its autologin capability.

I don't know if any of that makes any difference to you, but, in case it does, I thought I'd better make it clear, now that I remember how it all happened.

Last edited by ComputerBob (2021-03-21 12:01:24)

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#108 2021-04-02 16:56:52

Spock

ComputerBob wrote:

Back in the mid-90s, when I was just starting out with Linux, I used to experiment a lot and mess it all up.

Not knowing any other options at the time, I did A LOT of complete re-installng and re-configuring.

Over time, I messed up fewer and fewer things, so I didn't need to re-install very often.

I miss them days, I REALLY do
sometimes, and this is no exaggeration, I would go 96 hours without sleep just to learn stuff. I was so excited about it

#109 2021-04-02 17:22:55

PedroReina
Website

Spock wrote:

OK, but I'm quite sure that you know way more now. Enjoy, too smile

#110 2021-04-02 23:29:22

ComputerBob
Website

Spock wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:

Back in the mid-90s, when I was just starting out with Linux, I used to experiment a lot and mess it all up.

Not knowing any other options at the time, I did A LOT of complete re-installng and re-configuring.

Over time, I messed up fewer and fewer things, so I didn't need to re-install very often.

sometimes, and this is no exaggeration, I would go 96 hours without sleep just to learn stuff. I was so excited about it

PedroReina wrote:
Spock wrote:

OK, but I'm quite sure that you know way more now. Enjoy, too smile

Ironically, at first I knew little about Linux, then I knew a little more, until I think I knew a lot more. My record was 137 hours, back before I knew anything about CSS, and I manually updated my 700+ (at the time) web pages and uploaded them to the web via my 24K dial-up connection (out in the country, with squirrels constantly dining on the overhead telephone wires).

Then, my 2 strokes hit, and I had to re-teach myself how to turn my head, open my left hand, walk, subtract one number from another,  drink liquids without choking, etc.

Nowadays, I'm a fraction of the man that I was before my strokes. On the other hand, I'm doing much, much better than I was right after the strokes. I don't remember as much about Linux, or have the Linux or overall confidence that I had at one time.

Struggling with basic movement and thought has become a higher priority. But Linux still offers me a welcome mental challenge, when I'm up to thinking about it.

It's funny how things like that constantly remind  me that life is temporary, and love is a choice.

Last edited by ComputerBob (2021-04-03 02:58:38)

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#111 2021-04-28 15:07:14

ComputerBob
Website

I now realize that this entire problem and LONG, LONG thread was MY FAULT.

My mistake (and your kindness) resulted in all of you spending HOURS and HOURS, trying to help me.

But you were all great! NO ONE ever told me, "Hey, you idiot, none of this would have happened if you had allowed enough work space on your hard drive for the software to work correctly!"

So, THANKS AGAIN, EVERYBODY, FOR YOUR EXPERTISE AND INCREDIBLE PATIENCE WITH ME -- and I'm very, very sorry for causing so much trouble.

Last edited by ComputerBob (2021-04-29 13:36:41)

My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Board footer