The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-18 23:28:57

F_Sauce

MX Linux

Hi all!

I think maybe I saw this refered to before, somewhere here perhaps; however, it should be encouraging statistics for Devuan!
https://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=52

Cheers,
Olav

#2 2021-01-19 16:29:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: MX Linux

Are you referring to DistroWatch's bullshit "popularity" rankings? You know they're bullshit, right?

I'm pretty sure MX have a bot clicking on their page repeatedly (they copied the idea from Manjaro).

The user review rankings are probably a better source and Devuan does well in those:

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking

Third place is pretty good, no? MX Linux is lingering down in 17th place...

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-01-19 18:37:38

F_Sauce

OK smile
No, I did not know that DistroWatch were bullshit, and yes, that was what I refered to;
sorry about it!

#4 2021-01-19 20:51:30

andyprough

What you haven't been told yet is that HOAS is the one who wrote the DW page hit bot for both Manjaro and MX.

As evidence, I present this picture of HOAS writing the code for the bot in Malbolge language, an obscure programming language named after Dante's eighth circle of hell: https://head-on-a-stick.github.io/sids_page

#5 2021-01-20 01:36:57

F_Sauce

A bit perplexed now  smile

#6 2021-01-20 15:34:20

manyroads
Website

@F_Sauce Don't fret about distro popularity.... use what you like and what works in your environment (hardware/ software).  I personally am devoted to breaking anything I am able and to using obtuse desktops where possible.  wink

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#7 2021-01-20 16:02:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

F_Sauce wrote:

A bit perplexed now  smile

Don't worry, Andy is just having a laugh. As am I :-)

I suppose I should make it clear that I have the utmost respect for the MX Linux developers, they make a fine distribution. I just don't get along with their forum admins, that's all. The admins here are _much_ better.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2021-01-20 17:06:14

andyprough

manyroads wrote:

I personally am devoted to breaking anything I am able and to using obtuse desktops where possible.  wink

Exactly - a distro is no good unless I can drive it like a car right over a cliff and leave it in a pile of flames and smoking wreckage at the bottom. Which is why I really despise MX and Devuan - no matter how hard I beat on them they simply recover gracefully. Very frustrating.

#9 2021-01-20 17:24:14

F_Sauce

Hi again.
I'm very happy with Devuan; but, what I actually wanted to point out (or thought I wanted to) was the viability of a non-systemd Linux environment, hence referring to those statistics.
smile

#10 2021-01-21 13:04:26

zapper

andyprough wrote:
manyroads wrote:

I personally am devoted to breaking anything I am able and to using obtuse desktops where possible.  wink

Exactly - a distro is no good unless I can drive it like a car right over a cliff and leave it in a pile of flames and smoking wreckage at the bottom. Which is why I really despise MX and Devuan - no matter how hard I beat on them they simply recover gracefully. Very frustrating.

Try VoidLinux or artixlinux then...

Voidlinux is semi stable in my experience, but artix is bleeding edge so... if you want crashes, breakages thats your gem. tongue

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer