The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-18 20:45:01

matze72

severe sound problems with audacity

Hello,

I have severe sound problems with audacity.

When I start a recording, it can happen that the sound i would like to record it suddenly very disturbed, that it is hardly recognized any more.
As soon as I stop the audacity recording the sound problem disappears.
The same disturbance can happen during playback with audacity.
But this happens not all the time. Sometime it just works fine, sometimes I just got dropouts during in the recorded data.

This is the printout in a shell after I started audacity, there are quite some errors/warnings but I do not have a clue if they are related to the problem or not.

Does anybody have a hint what I could do to solve the problems?

/usr/bin/audacity

(Audacity:9627): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:26:10.344: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:869:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:823:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1043:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1043:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
21:26:13: Debug: ScreenToClient cannot work when toplevel window is not shown
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4628
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4628
Expression 'ret' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1736
Expression 'AlsaOpen( &alsaApi->baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &self->pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1904
Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_Initialize( &self->capture, alsaApi, inParams, StreamDirection_In, NULL != callback )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2171
Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Initialize( stream, alsaHostApi, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, callback, streamFlags, userData )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2840
[AVAudioResampleContext @ 0x560fe8fcf6c0] Value 160,000000 for parameter 'phase_shift' out of range [0 - 30]

And when I just wanted to check again the probelms I just mentioned above audacity refused to make any recording at all.

Matze

#2 2021-01-19 02:30:52

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: severe sound problems with audacity

I can reproduce this error. You need to start jack or set audacity to use alsa. (or maybe pulseaudio if you use that.)

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

#3 2021-01-19 23:11:37

matze72

Re: severe sound problems with audacity

fsmithred wrote:

I can reproduce this error. You need to start jack or set audacity to use alsa. (or maybe pulseaudio if you use that.)

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

Thanks for the answer.
I figured out that the problem has been caused mainly by a setting of audacity.
I had to uncheck the "SW playthrough of input" option. This caused a feedback loop and therefore causing a saturation of the signal.

This is also mentioned here in the PulseAudio  section:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tut … linux.html

Following this and some of the recommendations here (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa … fectSetup/), where I am not sure if the later ones were really necessary, solved the problem.

Matze

Board footer