The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-10 12:05:03

grafiksinc

Refracta-SnapShot - EFI Questions - Solved

Hi forum - So far so good, SnapShot has been working great... but I do have one thing I been dealing with.

Base OS - Debian Bullseye
I make all my changes good to go smile
In the  config I have this set:
make_efi="yes"
force_efi="yes"

But.....I cant get it to boot UEFI ---- basically the system does not provide the UEFI option with my ISO

Here is a testing scenario I have:

Hardware:
MB - ASROCK B450M Pro 4, Processor- Ryzen 3 Third Gen

Now If I take vanilla  debian and burn its ISO to a USB.....I get the UEFI option and it boots to the live session
This proves that the Hardware has no issues

But....If I take my ISO I created with RefractaSnapshot and burn it to a USB .....I do not get the UEFI option.

Let me add:
The EFI files are in the ISO, and looking at the logs i don't see any errors concerning  EFI creation.

Is there a step i am missing?

I really appreciate the help in advance.

Last edited by grafiksinc (2021-01-11 11:30:24)

#2 2021-01-10 12:32:53

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Refracta-SnapShot - EFI Questions - Solved

If you chose force_efi, then I assume your host system boots in legacy bios mode. Make sure both grub-pc.bin and grub-efi-amd64.bin installed. And you'll need to have a copy of the not-installed grub package in the root of the system (or somewhere else if you specify the location in the config file.)

I like to install grub-efi-amd64 in the system and put the grub-pc  deb package in the root, so it's available during installation on bios sytems. It works the opposite way, too, but if grub-efi is the one that's installed, then you will also have efibootmgr in the live system. That will make life easier if you boot on a uefi system.

dpkg -l |grep grub

Check to make sure there are two partitions in the iso.
fdisk -l <snapshot.iso>

#3 2021-01-10 13:41:07

grafiksinc

fsmithred wrote:

If you chose force_efi, then I assume your host system boots in legacy bios mode. Make sure both grub-pc.bin and grub-efi-amd64.bin installed. And you'll need to have a copy of the not-installed grub package in the root of the system (or somewhere else if you specify the location in the config file.)

I like to install grub-efi-amd64 in the system and put the grub-pc  deb package in the root, so it's available during installation on bios sytems. It works the opposite way, too, but if grub-efi is the one that's installed, then you will also have efibootmgr in the live system. That will make life easier if you boot on a uefi system.

dpkg -l |grep grub

Check to make sure there are two partitions in the iso.
fdisk -l <snapshot.iso>

The place I am building is in a VM using virtualbox hmmmm.....okay... make sense what you are saying.... thanks for the tip...

#4 2021-01-11 11:29:20

grafiksinc

That was it..... solved the problem....thank you very much

Last edited by grafiksinc (2021-01-11 11:29:38)

Board footer