The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-19 15:46:20

rgl808
Website

Info » Wine security

================================

I thinking on add "wine" to my system. How much secure is "Wine" for online applications?

================================

[Info] (Please,dont reply/quote this, a reply/quote to this may can cause a nonsense discussion and a permanent loss of neurons)

Review "X" if you want, but be shure to share your best idea if you have ideas to solve/improve "X".
Are you going to criticize "X"?:
-Stop if you can (you may not know what you are talking about, no one knows everything)
-Explain why and wait for someone that have ideas to solve/improve "X" (if you think you may know what you are talking about)

Last edited by rgl808 (2020-12-26 00:28:41)

#2 2020-12-19 17:19:32

rgl808
Website

Re: Info » Wine security

A good answer, if anyone needs it: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … x-security

That means that it only runs programs that you directly tell it to run.

Implications

What this essentially means is that any windows malware needs to be executed to work, so if you download a corrupted version of someProg that in turn downloads and executes someMalware, then nothing would happen. The reason being is that instead of executing someMalware like Windows, for the malware to work it would need to be initiated by WINE, and therefore by you. Installing WINE does not open your computer up to any "Windows malware" because you are directly in control of what exes, bats, and coms WINE executes. The only theoretical danger is if you download a Linux program that downloads a windows virus, and then calls WINE to execute that virus, and then fixes everything to work out of the WINE sandbox.

#3 2020-12-19 18:58:47

Ron

rgl808 wrote:

A good answer, . . .

Is it? I think this is a better answer: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/wine.html

Last edited by Ron (2020-12-19 19:01:06)

#4 2020-12-19 19:39:46

manyroads
Website

I personally keep my wine secure in the cellar... wink

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#5 2020-12-20 18:41:26

rgl808
Website

Rod wrote:

Is it? I think this is a better answer...

Thanks Ron

manyroads wrote:

In a nutshell:

Dont use "Wine", Use "Windows" in a non personal computer.

#6 2020-12-20 19:49:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Windows runs very well under QEMU/KVM and is more isolated from the host: https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers

It's far from perfect though: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2020-12-20 20:26:56

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Windows runs very well under QEMU/KVM and is more isolated from the host: https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers

It's far from perfect though: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582

Theo is absolutely right about wine and virtualization having security holes... 

Which is why I will never have wine on more than one laptop in the future...

As for virtualization,  i keep anything I virtualize disconnected from the internet when possible. Aka, if I don't need it connected to the internet, such as xp when I am playing old computer games...  I do not allow any such thing to happen.  IF it is for testing an operating system whether it be hyperbola, devuan or anything linux or BSD, then I am more okay with allowing the vm to connect to internet if there is moderate encryption. 

But x86 is a  security nightmare as is amd64 and intel/amd processors as a whole. 

RISC-V is the future man!

A distant one, but a future nonetheless...

wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#8 2020-12-20 20:29:45

zapper

rgl808 wrote:
Rod wrote:

Is it? I think this is a better answer...

Thanks Ron

manyroads wrote:

In a nutshell:

Dont use "Wine", Use "Windows" in a non personal computer.

Disagree, pure windows is way more insecure than linux with wine. 

That being said, one computer with wine is more than enough, if you have a few with you.  Which I am sure most people here do...

IF not, I apologize,  but yeah, I have 2 I commonly use and one that is in odd shape, so i only use wine on one of them currently.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#9 2020-12-20 22:43:32

rgl808
Website

zapper wrote:

wink

I hope that one day we can have computers/smartphones with "RISC-V" + "GNU/Linux" working.

Last edited by rgl808 (2020-12-20 22:45:21)

#10 2020-12-21 18:50:12

zapper

rgl808 wrote:
zapper wrote:

wink

I hope that one day we can have computers/smartphones with "RISC-V" + "GNU/Linux" working.

I hope the same can be said for OpenBSD and in the future HyperbolaBSD... wink

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer