The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-14 11:50:03

Kiwi Rider

HP DV6 no headphone audio

I have a HP Pavilion DV6.

The headphone jack works (confirmed via another OS), however in Dev1 I get no sound from the headphone jack. Speakers work fine. When I plug headphones in the speakers are muted.

Have tried to adjust with Alsa Mixer, no luck.

Also, when I use the mixer in Mate (right click on sound icon in "notification area", go to "sound preferences", even when I have programs running that are playing sound it shows as "no application is playing sound" when I view that tab.

Suggestions on where to begin digging?

Laptop HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC (WX054PA#ABG)

Audio devices :
Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 2020-09-14 18:36:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: HP DV6 no headphone audio

Plug the headphones in and post the output of

pacmd list-sinks

Also check the dmesg output after plugging them in to see what the kernel is doing.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-09-14 18:39:16

F_Sauce

Hei!
Do you use PulseAudio or not?

Olav

#4 2020-09-14 19:27:20

Kiwi Rider

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Plug the headphones in and post the output of

pacmd list-sinks

Also check the dmesg output after plugging them in to see what the kernel is doing.

pacmd list-sinks
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

dmesg gives no change (same things listed)

#5 2020-09-14 19:31:06

Kiwi Rider

F_Sauce wrote:

Hei!
Do you use PulseAudio or not?

Hi Olav,

It appears not to be running.  Maybe I should leave it that way! smile

I'd much rather have not have anything by Pottering on my system if I can avoid it! smile (but I did not remove Pulse, the system is as it was during install with a few packages I prefer to use added eg Waterfox and Xiphos)

#6 2020-10-17 00:28:06

Kiwi Rider

I've noticed other systems having similar issues as well, but this is the one I'd most like sorted.

pacmd list-sinks still reports "No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon". The Mate volume control applet lists "no appication is playing audio" even though Clementine and others work OK. I've noticed this on other machines as well, where I would like to be able to directly control the overall volume mix of some programs.

I'd happily look at alternatives to PA that have some of the features I'm interested in (being able to control audio/mix, especially where I have surround sound set up).

#7 2020-12-14 23:04:02

F_Sauce

I'm very sorry for not following up this topic!

How are you doing?

#8 2021-01-01 01:42:06

Kiwi Rider

F_Sauce wrote:

I'm very sorry for not following up this topic!

How are you doing?

Inelegantly fixed as of 5 minutes ago, see my next post smile

#9 2021-01-01 02:00:22

Kiwi Rider

I have managed to solve this in a state of covid-based desperation (ie wanting to get a video call with all my siblings since we're not all in the same nation).

Earlier attempts had left this machine without any sound at all.

I attempted reinstalling all the ALSA and Pulse Audio packages I could find (via Aptitude, search then hit  "reinstall" ("L" IIRC). That had no success and I guessed maybe it was config files not 'fixed' during that process. I hunted out and moved the ALSA and PA directories I could find that were/might be config files rather than program files (renaming, just in case things broke), then did the above re-install again.

Briefly the sound worked, but then I plugged in headphones and lost it all. I checked with alsamixer and the headphone volume was down, so I turned it up and for some reason (I cannot recall why) also toggled "auto-mute". The first two times the speakers worked as expected but still no headphones, but then the sound broke again (complete silence). At least the hardware was showing.

I again tried removing the config dirs, and re-installing. This time I had a number of errors from "alsa lib control" on boot but I could not find the errors in the logs. They did refer to one of the ALSA config files being missing but I could see it was there. I would've dug deeper for them in my system but hunting for the messages online I saw a reference to "asound" so hunted and re-installed all of those.

That is the fix that worked, re-installing asound packages

Now, I can plug/unplug headphones and the speakers work/mute as expected. The only oddball bits left are 1) I have missing bits in the sound preferences dialog (eg the "settings for selected device" under the "hardware" tab, or the microphone level meter under the input tab (mic works now too, it was also taken out during this) and 2) it seems that if I plug headphones in my trackpad stops until I reboot - but that could be another unrelated event however has only happened today since reinstalling the modules.

I would not call this "solved" but it is functioning for now.

#10 2021-01-01 15:00:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Have you tried starting PulseAudio? See the beowulf release notes for some potentially relevant advice.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#11 2021-01-03 04:30:22

Sawyer

I also use a Pavilion, they have sound issues sometimes with the headphone jacks.  Even after tampering with alsamixer, mixers, and hw switches sometimes they get stuck. Strange, but Check this on resetting the audio.  Yeah its confusing but HP's pavilions have this headphone jack sticky bug.  Resetting the laptop itself is simple...

Try a hard reset:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks … -p/1965743

1- Remove power cord and battery, and any peripherals.

2- Press and hold power button for 30 seconds(some say 15 sec., or up to 1 minute). This depletes any electricity left on board.

3- Reinstall only power cord for first startup.(some say put battery back too[my dv6 i leave battery out])

4- Power on and check

/*    If you continue to have issues, it may be your battery is out/going out.  Especially when only the AC adapter is in WITHOUT battery and all is running well, including audio.  Thats when battery starts to cause issues(ACPI and all quarks of kinds.)

Last edited by Sawyer (2021-01-04 05:11:04)

Board footer