The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-26 11:54:28

NickWilliamsPoetArtist

Brave Browser, firejail, firefox 78 to firefox 79

firejail --profile=/etc/firejail/brave.profile /usr/bin/brave-browser

firefox 78 might be the last compatible mozilla release (I know that might be my opinion, but have noticed firefox 79 on linux requires the removal of libreoffice and ark and other useful software) myself not happy about such changes so am sticking to firefox 78 however a future workaround is Brave which can be firejailed using the above commandline (other firejail commandlines for it fail) Currently keeping firefox 78, and hoping firefox esr doesn't go the way of firefox 79 - Have been using mozilla for most of my computing life ... this is the first time have seen it flop (android users all over not happy)

recommend though brave being tested and added to devuan as an alternative it certainly works

Anyway all the best

Stay safe and healthy

#2 2020-08-26 12:28:03

HevyDevy

Re: Brave Browser, firejail, firefox 78 to firefox 79

firefox 79 on what linux ?

#3 2020-08-26 14:55:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

NickWilliamsPoetArtist wrote:

have noticed firefox 79 on linux requires the removal of libreoffice

I've just managed to install both FF v80 and LibreOffice in my Alpine Linux system (edge repositories) and there are no mentions of such a problem either on the Arch news page or in their forums so that doesn't appear to be the case.

Are you running one of the Devuan development branches? Package transitions can result in some things being un-installable for a while so perhaps you have encountered that issue.

(android users all over not happy)

LibreOffice is available for Android? hmm

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2020-08-26 18:09:28

NickWilliamsPoetArtist

Hi ... I never actually wrote that libreoffice was available for android.

Was just pointing out recent developments related to firefox 79 and android updates; which might be a totally different OS environment to Linux Devuan but currently if one observes a developing situation you see a bigger wider and often much murkier picture :-) Can't be helped that's just life, the bigger murkier picture

Firefox 79 is compatible with Devuan, it was available last time I checked on Devuan repositories from Ceres release ... that's now firefox 80.0.1 (have just checked) and it does in fact when you attempt to upgrade it require you to uninstall libreoffice and a lot of other packages (I am using beowulf as base of main installed system) and the practice of adding a package from a later testing release might be frowned upon occasionally due to maintenance and stability etc but I occasionally do it and usually everything works ... but generally by not compatible ? I meant with my own system. Since I am not going to uninstall libreoffice or the other packages just to use firefox's latest release ..

it is not a problem but a potential package issue related weirdness, due to "you can't use this software with that version of web browser because for example the new version of firefox uses this library which makes all these other packages obsolete etc"

with linux such things are always package related due to "this package requires these packages but you can't have these packages installed with those packages so you must remove all of those packages regardless of whether you were using them just to install this package" to which my usual answer is "no, I'll find an alternative"

I found the same package requirement situation from debian sid repositories so figured that the debian firefox 79.0 and 80.0 compiles are from the same source

My sincere apologies if I have put this observation in the wrong place and not written it in universal understandable english, I put this down to lack of coffee ;-), I had my mind on other things

and no it isn't a problem if you upgrade the firefox package using ceres repositories the firefox browser works great but you might lose a host of other software

Just an observation

and a statement that Brave works as an alternative

All the best

#5 2020-08-26 18:20:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Firefox 79 is compatible with Devuan, it was available last time I checked on Devuan repositories from Ceres release

Adding the ceres repositories to beowulf will break your system, that is an entirely expected result: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian … nkenDebian

To use the non-ESR version of Firefox in beowulf download the tarball from Mozilla and then unpack and run it from your home directory.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2020-08-26 18:21:30

NickWilliamsPoetArtist

by same source I don't mean code, I mean compiled and thus targeted for a system that requires the removal of these packages

Promise I will drink enough coffee next time I post

#7 2020-08-26 18:26:53

NickWilliamsPoetArtist

it doesn't break the system if one is extremely careful and upgrade packages manually and refuse any upgrades that do reform the system completely :-/ especially if one is only using one or two packages from ceres and nothing else, have been doing that to various linux systems for 20 years and not one of them has crashed died or broken :-) But I agree with your point :-)

Board footer