The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-13 11:27:39

gipi

sometimes I don't have /dev/dri (and consequently X doesn't work)

I have no idea why this happens, and it appears to be completely random. Sometimes, though rarely (once in few weeks), /dev populates during boot, but without /dev/dri, so I cannot use X or anything like that. I previously thought it may have to do with updates, drivers, virtualbox even, but it just happens randomly even with all the necessary drivers, totally updated system etc. Is this a bug in eudev? Most of the time, it boots normally and I can use everything normally (and even when it fails, its "fixed" with a reboot), but sometimes, for no apparent reason it fails.

Last edited by gipi (2020-08-13 11:28:31)

#2 2020-08-13 14:41:54

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: sometimes I don't have /dev/dri (and consequently X doesn't work)

If this is beowulf, it might be a bug in eudev. It sounds like one I've encountered with live-isos. When it happens to you, is /dev/dri the only thing that's missing?

Instead of rebooting when it happens, try the following (as root):

/etc/init.d/eudev stop
/etc/init.d/eudev start

and see if that fixes it.

Another thing you could do to test is to run 'lsmod | wc -l' to see how many modules got loaded at boot. When eudev fails to find all the devices, it usually registers around half as many as when it works correctly.

And if this is the problem, I'll tell you how to fix it.

#3 2020-08-13 15:29:34

gipi

fsmithred wrote:

If this is beowulf, it might be a bug in eudev. It sounds like one I've encountered with live-isos. When it happens to you, is /dev/dri the only thing that's missing?

Instead of rebooting when it happens, try the following (as root):

/etc/init.d/eudev stop
/etc/init.d/eudev start

and see if that fixes it.

Another thing you could do to test is to run 'lsmod | wc -l' to see how many modules got loaded at boot. When eudev fails to find all the devices, it usually registers around half as many as when it works correctly.

Thank you for the response. This is indeed beowulf (to which I moved from debian buster). I don't know whether something else is missing, I looked only for /dev/dri so it is possible.

I'll try these out next time when this happens. I don't know how to replicate the situation, so it may take a while, though.

Current output on a working boot of lsmod | wc -l is 101.

#4 2020-08-13 19:47:55

gipi

Update: I just booted my PC and it failed. Running lsmod | wc -l returned 44 (as opposed to 101 normally). Restarting eudev with /etc/init.d/eudev start/stop did the job.

#5 2020-08-18 07:33:51

gipi

fsmithred wrote:

Could you post this solution?

Board footer