The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-20 04:05:29

LizziAS

Fglrx and devuan... how's that looking?

Does it work out of the box?  With some tweaking?  At all?  I have an old tv with some overscan issues... so I need catalyst to fix that as using xrandr isnt up to the task... I've tried.  Thank you.

#2 2017-06-20 04:12:27

pekman

Re: Fglrx and devuan... how's that looking?

Using lxrandr

#3 2017-06-21 04:15:31

LizziAS

Lxrandr doesnt save the resolution or the overscan settings across reboots for many years now.

#4 2017-06-21 09:10:40

fsmithred
Administrator

LizziAS wrote:

Lxrandr doesnt save the resolution or the overscan settings across reboots for many years now.

Yes it does save the configuration you set. And then it hides it from you unless you're running lxde. Edit ~/.config/autostart/lxrandr-autostart.desktop and comment out the line that hides it from you.

#OnlyShowIn=LXDE

If you change it and save again, you'll need to edit the file again.

#5 2017-06-22 00:10:19

LizziAS

Yes i am well aware of that line.  However that too stopped working some time ago.

#6 2017-06-22 08:45:13

smoki

LizziAS wrote:

Does it work out of the box?  With some tweaking?  At all?

No out of the box, since installation is needed. No particular tweaking needed, should work after proper installation. Here is picture from Devuan Jessie:

FGLRX.png

This is from low power Kabini APU, your's will differ of course. Official upstream FGLRX supports kernel versions up to 4.2 and xserver versions up to 1.17. So default Jessie 3.16/1.16 combo is expected to work, no problem. Kernel version support can be patched further, but xserver can't!

So if you patched it to 4.9 kernel it should work there, like you see in picture i am running latest vanila longterm 4.9.33 kernel there... Same thing should work on Devuan Ascii with default 4.9 kernel, but only with downgraded xserver version since there is 1.19 default which is not supported, etc...

Basically only attention should be what major xserver/kernels are running and what chips particular FGLRX version supports.

15.9 found in jessie repo supports EG/NI/GCN hardware also, but 15.12 from backports only GCNs... on AMD site you can found Catalyst-PRO driver which supports workstation chips that are listed there, etc...

Of course people with GCN 1.3 or Gen 4 AMD hardware, so called Polaris or later shouldn't try this at all as that hardware isn't supported by FGLRX for sure.
So up to GFX7 totally, but GFX8 partially - some GFX8 are supported and some not at all, etc...

OK, i think that info is enough big_smile So does it work? Well it does, but it depends what your chip is, what are kernel and xserver versions. Deal is the same on average for any distro.

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-22 12:58:57)

#7 2017-06-23 23:08:38

greenjeans
Website

Fglrx has worked fine in both 32 and 64 bit on multiple laptops i've tried so far, 3 APU units and 1 with a separate amd GPU. Better graphics, and some low-spec machines won't play a DVD without dropping frames and glitching if you don't have the proprietary drivers.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Board footer