The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-15 01:45:05

devuanuser

Devuan just froze up on reboot.

Just froze up, boots until ifup then hangs in an endless loop.
Nothing was installed, nothing up-graded.
System was working perfectly until reboot.

Anything known that can cause this issue that I can fix to prevent reinstallation ?

Here is an image of the freezeup.

"https://i.imgur.com/SjeAS3U.jpg"

FluxBB bbcode test

Last edited by devuanuser (2020-07-15 01:46:20)

#2 2020-07-15 02:39:35

steve_v

Re: Devuan just froze up on reboot.

That error regarding libmount.so.1 is almost certainly the culprit, and such a library version mismatch should never happen unless a n upgrade was forcibly interrupted or one has mixed releases and/or otherwise messed about with sources.list.

You might be able to fix it by installing the correct versions of the relevant packages (mount & libmount1) from a livecd chroot, but YMMV. Depending on how the system ended up in this messed up state any number of other things may be borked as well.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2020-07-15 21:05:13

devuanuser

There were no updates done at all. This is running as a terminal for ssh business client software, so no need for upgrades.
Very strange.
I put the disk in another exact terminal, booted up and have the same problem, so either something went corrupt or there is self destruct.
These terminals are not upgraded except at installation.
I will do a remote dpkg install of the package containing the libraries not found and see.

Last edited by devuanuser (2020-07-15 21:07:08)

#4 2020-07-16 04:00:25

steve_v

devuanuser wrote:

Very strange.

Indeed.
Once you get in (or if you image the disk before reinstalling), it would be interesting to see the apt policy and debsums for those packages... Libraries don't change themselves (this is stable, not ceres, right?), barring some proper odd variety of disk corruption.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "remote dpkg install" here, but all you should need for a look around is a working mount command, the minimal live image would do nicely.

Incidentally, if that's some kind of thin terminal and you have a bunch of identical installs, you might like clonezilla's bare-metal PXEboot image restore features. It sure beats lugging HDDs around IME.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#5 2020-07-16 19:35:56

devuanuser

Here I posted a Tutorial about how to do remote installs on Distros which are not active. Result is the same as doing dpkg on a running system. Saved my bacon a lot of times having to fix a terminally corrupt library on a non-running partition remotely.
In the case showcased there, libc6 has config problem which completely bricks all terminal commands. You cannot fix the system while the OS is running as terminal commands result in a segfault - nasty!  Usually everyone just reinstalls. This way you just reinstalls libc6 while the system is not running remotely from another distro and the system runs again after reboot. Dont know why nobody seems to know about this.

"https://www.nixcraft.com/t/damaged-libc … cover/2934"

i can do exactly the same on Devuan if I know which libraries are missing and what provides it. So I will have to go dig into that. In this case the remote install on a passive OS is the only way to fix it as it wont boot into administrator mode either.

To your other comment, sure things dont just happen by themselves, that is why I ask if it is a known flaw.

Last edited by devuanuser (2020-07-16 19:42:46)

#6 2020-07-16 23:45:10

fsmithred
Administrator

Are you sure it's not this issue?
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1688

#7 2020-07-17 02:21:14

devuanuser

I will try and use that solution. My network cable was plugged in and networking works.

If this is the problem as what you linked to, then Devuan is at fault.
That would be an absurd condition halting the boot process just because the os is unhappy about the network status.
This seems to be the case in the thread you posted.

Last edited by devuanuser (2020-07-17 02:21:46)

#8 2020-07-17 03:47:15

steve_v

fsmithred wrote:

Are you sure it's not this issue?
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1688

While it may well cause boot delays, It doesn't explain the failure to remount the root partition r/w or the thick cloud of smoke being emitted by /bin/mount in the screenshot above.
There's little point in trying to troubleshoot ifup when you can't write to the filesystem...

#9 2020-07-17 19:11:26

fsmithred
Administrator

devuanuser wrote:

If this is the problem as what you linked to, then Devuan is at fault.
That would be an absurd condition halting the boot process just because the os is unhappy about the network status.

Nope. Not our fault. We get it like that from Debian, and it's way down on our list of priorities for a couple reasons. It doesn't require systemd, and there are some easy fixes.

#10 2020-07-18 01:17:13

devuanuser

I believe you, it is just that I can starkly remember the exact same problem back in 2005, with several distros and then never again thereafter. it is just very odd that I get exactly the same problem 15 years later.
Its no sweat. i will reinstall if i cannot remotely install the supposedly missing libraries. Usually I can taking me a few minutes.

Board footer