The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-03 00:21:47

garyk

DeleteService

When running atop a service titled DeleteService shows up near the top of the process list.  It also shows up if I run the following command from a bash prompt: ps -e | grep DeleteService.  All that shows though is that the process exists which is not a lot of help.  But, if I run ps -eF | grep DeleteService to find out more about it it does not show up in the list of running processes.  Nor does it show up running ps -AF | grep DeleteService. 

I've done some searches looking for this on the internet and can find nothing about this process.  I get some systemd returns to my searches but nothing about the DeleteService process itself.  Is this an artifact left over from removing systemd?  Or is this something else as to the best of my memory I can not remember ever seeing this process before.

Last edited by garyk (2020-07-03 00:22:50)

#2 2020-07-03 16:26:47

chris2be8

Re: DeleteService

ps -e | grep DeleteService should tell you the PID in the first column of output. Try ps -p xxx where xxx is the PID. Then ps -fp xxx and ps -Fp xxx.

If the last two don't work look in /proc/xxx and see if you can find out what it is (compare with /proc/n for tasks that appear normal).

If you can't find the PID try ps -e | less and ps -ef | less etc.

But I don't have such a task running so I'm guessing if this will help.

Chris

#3 2020-07-03 17:20:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

pgrep -a DeleteService?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2020-07-05 17:46:33

garyk

Thanks for the answers guys.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, as the case may be, on reboot the DeleteService process hasn't returned.  So any searches for it are now moot.  If it ever returns I'll try your suggestions and report what I find.  I do know it was running under my account but don't remember the PID.  It was just so weird that it didn't show up under ps -AF that it kind of threw me for a loop.  I've never seen a process that showed up under -e that didn't show up under the -AF options before.

Board footer