The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-11 14:43:52

myrddin

And the moral of the story is ......

Hi All,

I was watching a documentary the other week, that reminded me of this incident, when I was living and working for a Western computer company in Moscow for 2 years, 1973-1974..
One evening as I was driving back to the hotel, I came to a traffic stop. The elderly Russian policeman, was delighted to have stopped an English speaking foreigner. By way of explanation, as 'accredited foreigners', we were accorded the honor of fluorescent white license plates, that could be seen a mile away, even in the atrociously dim street lighting of Moscow.
In halting, but good English, he explained that as a young Red Army soldier, he was attached to a liaison group between the Red Army and the allies in Berlin in 1945, hence his English.. After a lengthy discussion, where he explained how much he liked to practice his language skills as often as he could, before I drove off he pulled out his tattered Rule Book..He thumbed to Section X, Sub-section Y, paragraph Z - he could only count in Russian- and read to me, with a big smile on his face Quote :- "Try not to shoot foreigners. It causes many administrative problems.." ..He told me that I now I should feel very safe, and wished me good night..

It seemed amusing at the time, but in retrospect, it was a Monty Python meets George Orwell scenario, where the real "moral of the story is.." :-

Feel free to shoot anybody, as long as it does not cause a great deal of paperwork...

Very surreal now, looking back to an experience from over 40 years ago....
Regards
Richard

No matter how eloquently the dog barks, he cannot tell you that his master is poor, but honest...........Bertrand Russell

#2 2017-05-25 22:37:46

pekman

Re: And the moral of the story is ......

Yeah! Best history...

#3 2017-06-14 07:54:13

Racoton

Very good yarn.

#4 2017-06-14 11:00:13

sgage

Racoton wrote:

Very good yarn.

Yes, I've seen it in several different places on the web in the past few weeks, from several different people.

#5 2017-06-14 15:11:10

mckaygerhard
Website

myrddin wrote:

Hi All,

Feel free to shoot anybody, as long as it does not cause a great deal of paperwork...

its the actual society where we are livig! so we all of you have the faul! i example, i used more gitlab due github interface are privative.. but the people said "i dont care i just want to make a pull request"

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-06-14 15:11:39)

#6 2017-06-14 16:12:09

Ogis1975
Website

myrddin wrote:

Hi All,

I was watching a documentary the other week, that reminded me of this incident, when I was living and working for a Western computer company in Moscow for 2 years, 1973-1974..
One evening as I was driving back to the hotel, I came to a traffic stop. The elderly Russian policeman, was delighted to have stopped an English speaking foreigner. By way of explanation, as 'accredited foreigners', we were accorded the honor of fluorescent white license plates, that could be seen a mile away, even in the atrociously dim street lighting of Moscow.
In halting, but good English, he explained that as a young Red Army soldier, he was attached to a liaison group between the Red Army and the allies in Berlin in 1945, hence his English.. After a lengthy discussion, where he explained how much he liked to practice his language skills as often as he could, before I drove off he pulled out his tattered Rule Book..He thumbed to Section X, Sub-section Y, paragraph Z - he could only count in Russian- and read to me, with a big smile on his face Quote :- "Try not to shoot foreigners. It causes many administrative problems.." ..He told me that I now I should feel very safe, and wished me good night..

It seemed amusing at the time, but in retrospect, it was a Monty Python meets George Orwell scenario, where the real "moral of the story is.." :-

Very surreal now, looking back to an experience from over 40 years ago....
Regards
Richard

Looks like your story is a big lie....

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#7 2017-06-15 11:29:51

Racoton

sgage wrote:
Racoton wrote:

Very good yarn.

Yes, I've seen it in several different places on the web in the past few weeks, from several different people.

And what?

Still it's a good yarn. Or a good legend.

I want to add that this story could happen in the majority of countries around the world.

Board footer