The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-13 15:17:52

garyk

Calibre bug

Calibre's internal viewer crashes upon opening any book no matter what the file format is.  The only books now readable are ones that use an external viewer such as pdf, doc, or odt files.  As I do a lot of reading and the vast majority of my books are in epub format this is a big deal to me as it makes more than 3100 of my books unavailable.

As reportbug also does not work I am using this site to report the bug.

Last edited by garyk (2020-06-13 15:18:59)

#2 2020-06-13 15:48:24

sgage

Re: Calibre bug

garyk wrote:

Calibre's internal viewer crashes upon opening any book no matter what the file format is.  The only books now readable are ones that use an external viewer such as pdf, doc, or odt files.  As I do a lot of reading and the vast majority of my books are in epub format this is a big deal to me as it makes more than 3100 of my books unavailable.

I am not seeing this issue at all with epub or mobi. This is on an up-to-date beowulf installation. Calibre version 3.39.1.

#3 2020-06-13 17:29:23

garyk

sgage wrote:
garyk wrote:

I am not seeing this issue at all with epub or mobi. This is on an up-to-date beowulf installation. Calibre version 3.39.1.

My bad.  I should have given the version #.

I'm running Ceres and the Calibre version is 4.99.4+dfsg+really4.18.0-1.

#4 2020-06-13 18:46:37

sgage

garyk wrote:
sgage wrote:
garyk wrote:

My bad.  I should have given the version #.

I'm running Ceres and the Calibre version is 4.99.4+dfsg+really4.18.0-1.

Aha! Let me boot into my ceres system and see if I can duplicate the issue...

#5 2020-06-13 19:04:22

sgage

OK, Calibre has no problems opening/reading epub and mobi on my ceres system. However, I seem to be running a slightly different version. The package version is 4.99.4+dfsg+really4.17.0-1. And apt update doesn't offer anything newer. And the program itself reports 4.99.5!

In any case, it's working nominally here...

#6 2020-06-14 02:51:52

garyk

sgage wrote:

OK, Calibre has no problems opening/reading epub and mobi on my ceres system. However, I seem to be running a slightly different version. The package version is 4.99.4+dfsg+really4.17.0-1. And apt update doesn't offer anything newer. And the program itself reports 4.99.5!

I did an update yesterday in which Calibre was upgraded to the new version.  I suspect that's where the bug I'm experiencing came from as I use Calibre on a daily basis.  I was reading a pdf book yesterday so when I finished that book and went to read an epub book today that's when I ran into the problem. 

Calibre is moving from Python 2.x to 3.x and there have been a bunch of bugs affecting it in the last couple of months.  There have been frequent updates to it.  On my machine Calibre itself reports the same version as you see.  There are going to be a lot of 4.99.x versions during the Python upgrade as when the entire upgrade to Python 3 is finished Calibre will be termed version 5. Until then it's going to be version 4.99.x

#7 2020-06-14 11:36:40

sgage

garyk wrote:
sgage wrote:

I did an update yesterday in which Calibre was upgraded to the new version.  I suspect that's where the bug I'm experiencing came from as I use Calibre on a daily basis.  I was reading a pdf book yesterday so when I finished that book and went to read an epub book today that's when I ran into the problem. 

Calibre is moving from Python 2.x to 3.x and there have been a bunch of bugs affecting it in the last couple of months.  There have been frequent updates to it.  On my machine Calibre itself reports the same version as you see.  There are going to be a lot of 4.99.x versions during the Python upgrade as when the entire upgrade to Python 3 is finished Calibre will be termed version 5. Until then it's going to be version 4.99.x

Ah, that's why the package is named +'really4.17'. It will be good when the P2-P3 changeover is completed. Hopefully there won't be many (any) more hiccups...

#8 2020-06-14 20:30:08

sgage

Hi garyk,

Just wanted to let you know of my latest exploits. I am thinking that the problem doesn't lie with Calibre, as such. In both Chimaera  and Debian bullseye (on which Chimaera is based), Calibre worked fine this morning. After a sizeable update, both exhibited the problem you describe - the reader window comes up for a second, then... gone. Calibre was not among the updated packages. There were a few python related odds and ends. I suspect an interaction with some new python component that hadn't been tested against. You just happened to get it before me.

I think you're right - we are probably going to see rapid updates of Calibre as it dances along with continuing component updates in Python.

#9 2020-06-15 05:50:50

garyk

sgage wrote:

Hi garyk,

Just wanted to let you know of my latest exploits. I am thinking that the problem doesn't lie with Calibre, as such. In both Chimaera  and Debian bullseye (on which Chimaera is based), Calibre worked fine this morning. After a sizeable update, both exhibited the problem you describe - the reader window comes up for a second, then... gone. Calibre was not among the updated packages. There were a few python related odds and ends. I suspect an interaction with some new python component that hadn't been tested against. You just happened to get it before me.

I think you're right - we are probably going to see rapid updates of Calibre as it dances along with continuing component updates in Python.

I'm glad to hear that this has shown up in Debian now as that ensures the bug will be fixed soon. 

Thanks for the info.  And yes, I expect Calibre will continue to be a bumpy road for a while as upgrading from Python 2 to Python 3 is not a trivial upgrade.

#10 2020-06-15 06:44:18

garyk

sgage wrote:

Hi garyk,

Just to let you know, I did an upgrade tonight and the following python file was upgraded:  python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine (5.15.0-1.  Calibre is now working fine once again.  Good call on a python package being the problem.  cool

#11 2020-06-15 11:23:54

sgage

garyk wrote:
sgage wrote:

Hi garyk,

Just to let you know, I did an upgrade tonight and the following python file was upgraded:  python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine (5.15.0-1.  Calibre is now working fine once again.  Good call on a python package being the problem.  cool

Hmmm... still on 5:14 here. I wonder why you get upgrades before I do? Luck of the draw on mirrors? I'll probably get it tomorrow. Good to know it's fixed - for now...  :-)

#12 2020-06-16 15:10:32

garyk

sgage wrote:
garyk wrote:
sgage wrote:

Hi garyk,

Hmmm... still on 5:14 here. I wonder why you get upgrades before I do? Luck of the draw on mirrors? I'll probably get it tomorrow. Good to know it's fixed - for now...  :-)

Here's the one and only non-commented out line in my /etc/apt/sources.list file:  deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ceres main non-free contrib.

Before I went to this url I had problems getting timely updates after I moved to Devuan.  I'd sometimes have to wait a week or more before updates would percolate out to whatever mirror I was connecting to at the time.  If I didn't dislike systemd so much I'd have moved back to Debian and said goodby to Devuan over that source of frustration.  big_smile

#13 2020-06-16 16:34:50

sgage

"Here's the one and only non-commented out line in my /etc/apt/sources.list file:  deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged ceres main non-free contrib."

Aha! You are on ceres (unstable = sid). My sources.list is on chimaera (testing = bullseye). Until Beowulf was released (declared stable), chimaera and ceres were the same, but then chimaera became 'testing' and started tracking bullseye. This is why the Devuan folks strongly recommend not using suite names, but rather the code names.

In any case, I'm all caught up and Calibre works properly again...

Board footer