You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-18 21:45:51

take_a_number

"configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

Tried to install geany. Instructions say to compile with

$ ./configure
    $ make
    % make install

Tried the first by cding to the directory where I extracted the tarball. This is what happens:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking whether make supports nested variables... no
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) no
checking whether make supports the include directive... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/home/user/Desktop/geany-1.36':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

Any idea what went wrong? Tried to search for the config.log file, only to discover that the file manager doesn't actually seem to have any kind of search function. Or if it does it's hidden somewhere that's not obvious.

Install is for the live version of ascii 2.1

Lord Wily did nothing wrong.

#2 2020-05-18 22:09:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

take_a_number wrote:

Tried to install geany

Why not just use apt install geany?

take_a_number wrote:

Is the gcc package installed? The build-essential metapackage will probably provide everything you need.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-05-19 08:40:09

take_a_number

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
take_a_number wrote:

Tried to install geany

Why not just use apt install geany?

I more or less already explained this in the other topic. I want these steps to be repeatable in a situation where you need to configure stuff before exposing your machine to the internet, or the machine is meant to be airgapped. That's why I'm being so adamant about having the source file/tarballs. Though a preferable alternative would be a GUI based text editor/VMware that took the Pale Moon route and made their programs able to be run without installing them.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

Download tarball, extract tarball, click executable, do you tasks. Simple and hassle free. More programmers need to follow this example.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
take_a_number wrote:

Is the gcc package installed? The build-essential metapackage will probably provide everything you need.

No idea how to check, but I'm starting to wonder if the install itself might screwed up. Or perhaps the Lenovo L380 has hardware quirks that cause problems for devuan. Any diagnostic tools that can tell me whether or not I need to use a different build?

Checking config.log might help but again, I don't know it is or how to search for it.

Last edited by take_a_number (2020-05-19 08:43:22)

#4 2020-05-19 09:59:05

xinomilo
Unknown

$ which gcc
will tell you if you have gcc compiler installed.. you need that to compile programs. use :
# apt install build-essential
to install all necessary stuff for compiling.
--
"airgapped install", can also be somewhat-assured with debian/devuan binaries by reproducible builds..
and geany is reproducible in devuan : https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/d … geany.html

#5 2020-05-19 10:34:57

take_a_number

xinomilo wrote:

$ which gcc
will tell you if you have gcc compiler installed.. you need that to compile programs. use :
# apt install build-essential
to install all necessary stuff for compiling.

Tried $ which gcc. Nothing happened, not even an error message. No idea how to interpret that.

xinomilo wrote:

"airgapped install", can also be somewhat-assured with debian/devuan binaries by reproducible builds..
and geany is reproducible in devuan : https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/d … geany.html

Interesting site there, but the layout is somewhat cryptic and hard to follow. Not seeing any instructions on how to port that onto my machine either. How is this site meant to be used?

And for the third time WHERE DO I FIND 'config.log'? FILE MANAGER HAS NO SEARCH FUNCTION SO I NEED TO ASK YOU.

#6 2020-05-19 11:17:09

rolfie

take_a_number wrote:

Tried $ which gcc. Nothing happened, not even an error message. No idea how to interpret that.

That tells you exactly that the Live CD has no gcc installed.

I guess you need to re-consider your approach, it will not work without having the required tools on board.

rolfie

#7 2020-05-19 11:44:29

take_a_number

rolfie wrote:
take_a_number wrote:

That tells you exactly that the Live CD has no gcc installed.

I guess you need to re-consider your approach, it will not work without having the required tools on board.

rolfie

Alright. Is there a way to get that stuff on there via sneakernet? Also vim sucks so I'd love to know about any GUI text editors for linux available as an executable and whose interface wasn't designed primarily for use by an octopus.

#8 2020-05-19 17:16:05

chris2be8

The config.log file should be in the same directory you ran ./configure in. Try less config.log to see what's in it.

If that fails ./configure is usually a script so you could look at it to see where it puts config.log. But it might be hard to follow if you don't know shell scripting.

And you may need to build a live CD with gcc on it to make this work.

Chris

#9 2020-05-20 12:43:44

take_a_number

I couldn't find config.log anywhere even looking through the source code. Does devuan seriously not have any proper way to search for files? Now that brings the list of necessary programs to get on the machine:

- QEMU/KVM
- A non-idiotic text editor
- A file explorer that can actually look for files

chris2be8 wrote:

And you may need to build a live CD with gcc on it to make this work.

At that point I might as well just try to slap that other software directly onto the live USB instead. What's the easiest way for a layman like myself to go about getting this right? Any good tutorials/walkthroughs?

#10 2020-05-20 17:11:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

take_a_number wrote:

I couldn't find config.log anywhere even looking through the source code. Does devuan seriously not have any proper way to search for files?

Read man find or install catfish if you can't figure out how to use a simple command.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#11 2020-05-20 20:17:03

rolfie

take_a_number wrote:

And for the third time WHERE DO I FIND 'config.log'? FILE MANAGER HAS NO SEARCH FUNCTION SO I NEED TO ASK YOU.

My dear take_a_number, please take a number and wait until you are the first in line to be served (which never may happen). Who are you to SHOUT AT US and to DEMAND answers? We are a bunch of volunteers interested in Devuan and how it is working, and we reserve the right which aspect of a post and what we like to answer and to ignore what we don't want to reply to. So please control your language.

For your benefit: The core of Devuan probably is 3% of Debian making it free of systemd, the rest is Linux and Debian and Desktop Environments etc. Your problems to find a file is a typical Linux/DE problem and nothing Devuan specific. Please use the $Search-machine$ of your preference/trust to find the answer. Maybe the file simply does not exist?

Take care, rolfie

Glad to be on Devuan!

Board footer