The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-11 21:32:56

leegold

LAMP stack for Devuan?

Is there a LAMP install for Devuan ? It would install a server, DB and PHP that I could use for learning, development, and testing on my local network. Do I install all the components individually or is there a package that could do it in one swoop?

Thanks

#2 2020-05-12 02:48:12

steve_v

Re: LAMP stack for Devuan?

leegold wrote:

Is there a LAMP install for Devuan ?

Of course.

leegold wrote:

Do I install all the components individually or is there a package that could do it in one swoop?

I don't know of a specific metapackage for a complete stack, and there's probably a reason for that: There are a great many variations to choose from.

Something like 'apt install apache2 mysql-server php php-mysql libapache2-mod-php' should get you 99% of the way to a basic setup, for the rest any tutorial targeting Debian should be close enough to also work with Devuan. Try the Debian wiki for a start.

'ware instructions telling you to add the sury.org repo - recent php-fpm packages from there need systemd.. or a dirty little hack.

Last edited by steve_v (2020-05-12 02:55:47)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2020-05-12 07:45:03

xinomilo
Unknown

no need for sury or 3rd party repo, even for php-fpm.. beowulf has php7.3 that works just fine and is supported for a long time.
lamp stack (no metapackage), works fine there.
apart from above packages, if you're installing some CMS you'll probably need more php modules like php-intl, php-xml, php-json, php-mbstring, etc...

just check logs if you get errors, and act accordingly..

#4 2020-05-12 12:43:38

steve_v

xinomilo wrote:

no need for sury or 3rd party repo, even for php-fpm.. beowulf has php7.3 that works just fine

Indeed. Shame beowulf hasn't actually been released yet.

Until informed to the contrary by a developer, maintainer, or long, long-awaited release announcement, I'm going to assume that the Devuan "testing" repository is still in testing, and has the same purpose and meaning as the Debian "testing" branch.
As such I'll not recommend it to anyone, unless they first communicate a desire to use an unstable, unreleased, non-production-ready branch.

The PHP version in Devuan stable is far too old for a great many purposes. So yes, as of right now there is a need for third-party repositories on Devuan. There has been for about a year now.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#5 2020-05-12 13:34:59

xinomilo
Unknown

steve_v wrote:
xinomilo wrote:

no need for sury or 3rd party repo, even for php-fpm.. beowulf has php7.3 that works just fine

Indeed. Shame beowulf hasn't actually been released yet.

well devuan beowulf, uses debian LAMP packages, which are "stable"=buster really. so if you run buster/beowulf for LAMP, you're probably running same software.
in practice i've been running beowulf for over a year in a couple of servers, and it's pretty stable as os for lamp.

original author mentioned development purposes, so i guess it doesn't matter much in this case.
but if you run a business and want stable/production-ready release, i guess it's worth the wait for official announcements.

let's hope we'll have a stable devuan release soon, and no need for 3rd party repos.

Last edited by xinomilo (2020-05-12 13:35:46)

#6 2020-05-12 14:48:16

fsmithred
Administrator

steve_v wrote:

As such I'll not recommend it to anyone, unless they first communicate a desire to use an unstable, unreleased, non-production-ready branch.

If that's what someone wants, you'll have to recommend chimaera (=bullseye) or ceres (=sid). They'll be disappointed with beowulf, which is quite stable in the generic sense. When we're happy with the installation media, we'll officially call it Stable and release it. Nothing else in beowulf needs to be changed.

#7 2020-05-13 07:29:07

steve_v

fsmithred wrote:

When we're happy with the installation media, we'll officially call it Stable and release it. Nothing else in beowulf needs to be changed.

Good to know. I didn't see this info anywhere official, so thanks for the heads-up.

Board footer