The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-23 04:29:06

ToxicExMachina

Re: USB tethering?

farmatito wrote:

Hi,
the easiest way is to remove wicd and install network-manager. Connect phone and PC through USB cable, go to phone settings
and enable USB tethering. Done!

It's way harder than DHCP client.

#27 2020-01-23 11:44:17

HevyDevy

Another question might be does your ISP/Carrier support tethering but charges for this service?

It might be a case of it being available but in order for it to work the carrier needs to turn it on, some ISP's are evil like that.

#28 2020-01-24 00:14:22

MysticLord

USB tethering works on other distros, but other things don't work on them.

#29 2020-01-24 13:38:52

farmatito

ToxicExMachina wrote:
farmatito wrote:

Hi,
the easiest way is to remove wicd and install network-manager. Connect phone and PC through USB cable, go to phone settings
and enable USB tethering. Done!

It's way harder than DHCP client.

Why is it harder? This just works. After you got it working you can investigate why it was not working doing it by hand.
You probably miss some packages that are needed e.g. usb-modeswitch.

#30 2020-01-24 15:00:17

HevyDevy

MysticLord wrote:

USB tethering works on other distros, but other things don't work on them.

What distros, what are the other things?

You have been asked to give more information yet you are still very vague in your answers, have been from the start. If you want more help you need to be more verbose.

#31 2020-01-26 13:02:34

ToxicExMachina

farmatito wrote:

Why is it harder?

Because networkmanager doing the same thing with much more complicated way.

In Android USB tethering is just emulation of a network card using RNDIS.

#32 2020-01-26 14:15:57

farmatito

ToxicExMachina wrote:
farmatito wrote:

Why is it harder?

Yes, I know, but it just works and for me it is no fun at all on a laptop or desktop to type a poem into the shell just to connect a phone.

BTW you get also other nice features like VPN working out of the box with multiple profiles and kicking in automatically at connection time,
per connection randomized mac address if you wish so etc. etc.

Ciao

#33 2020-01-27 07:58:00

ToxicExMachina

farmatito wrote:
ToxicExMachina wrote:
farmatito wrote:

Why is it harder?

Yes, I know, but it just works and for me it is no fun at all on a laptop or desktop to type a poem into the shell just to connect a phone.

BTW you get also other nice features like VPN working out of the box with multiple profiles and kicking in automatically at connection time,

Ciao

1. It's not a poem in the shell. It's just one short command with a single and shorter argument.

2. VPN out of box is also works without NM. For people with disabilities (such as windows/mac based injury characterized as "losing of reading and comprehension abilities alongside with losing the capability of sensible text typing") there are GUI tools like kvpnc.

3. Networkmanager gives a lot of problems because technically it's extremely dirty solution. For example, devices working over serial interface may not connect due to NM because NM thinks "there is no other device but modem!".

#34 2020-01-27 13:12:08

farmatito

ToxicExMachina wrote:
farmatito wrote:
ToxicExMachina wrote:

Ciao

1. It's not a poem in the shell. It's just one short command with a single and shorter argument.

that seems not to work yet...maybe more than a single line or a longer arg is needed?

2. VPN out of box is also works without NM. For people with disabilities (such as windows/mac based injury characterized as "losing of reading and comprehension abilities alongside with losing the capability of sensible text typing") there are GUI tools like kvpnc.

Luckily I'm not affected........

3. Networkmanager gives a lot of problems because technically it's extremely dirty solution. For example, devices working over serial interface may not connect due to NM because NM thinks "there is no other device but modem!".

the connection in this thread is an ethernet one.....and besides this the user used wicd before.

Best regards.

#35 2020-01-27 14:50:12

HevyDevy

vpn's are fud.

#36 2020-01-31 07:21:50

ToxicExMachina

farmatito wrote:
ToxicExMachina wrote:
farmatito wrote:

Ciao

that seems not to work yet...maybe more than a single line or a longer arg is needed?

Luckily I'm not affected........

the connection in this thread is an ethernet one.....and besides this the user used wicd before.

Best regards.

1. It works. If it doesn't work networkmanager can't solve the problem too.

2. So?

3. It doesn't matter. Wicd is not a problem at all.

#37 2020-02-23 19:42:27

Oldmoss

Thank you, thank you!

I have now fumbled around, back and forth, up and down for some time trying to get tethering going.
Then I thought I might find teh solutions here ...
Finally it works!

One of my PCs is without wireless card and somethimes I don't have wired network/am too lazy to set up several hubs and stretch cables between them to the router.

My "Linux experiment" mainly with Devuan (and some AntiX) has now lasted for 2-3 years.
Not exactly going strong, but I'm still hangin in. Using Devuan at least 90% of the time.

#38 2020-03-23 19:28:46

NickWilliamsPoetArtist

This is from a debian website and it works on devuan

USB Tethering

Using DebianWheezy with Gnome and the NetworkManager and Android 4.1.2 the process was very simple:

connect the mobile phone to your computer

activate USB tethering in settings -> Wireless and network -> More Settings -> portable hotspot and tethering -> USB tethering

the NetworkManager identified the mobile phone as network connection and you are ready to go

So the process below might still be necessary for older devices or different configurations:

To use this method requires enabling USB debugging. However not on all devices, so try first without USB debugging or even switch it off. For Android 4.0 you can enable it in Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging.

You must also activate the USB tethering. For Android 4.0 you can do it settings -> Wireless and network -> More Settings -> portable hotspot and tethering -> USB tethering.

Depending on the version of Android you have to reboot your cell phone.

Disconnect and connect the USB mobile port or USB cable. If you are debugging or testing, also disconnect the wireless network.

Run with sudo or root:

ifconfig -a

Should show output similar to the following:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 04:7d:7b:3d:a5:fc
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:43 Base address:0xc000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:7924 (7.7 KiB)  TX bytes:7924 (7.7 KiB)

usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

You see a new node USBx interface type (where X is a number) in my case it is usb0, depending on your computer could also be usb1, usb2, etc. It is usually usb0, but if it was not and you have several USB ports, disconnect the phone and run the command again to check the interface which was disappeared.

We will work with the following examples usb0 as it will be the most common, if not replace it with appropriate usb1, usb2, etc, in those steps.

Let's configure the usb0 interface to obtain DHCP and permit to go out to the Internet via the phone:

ifconfig usb0 up && dhclient usb0

Check out if the computer has internet access.

Sources

especially ifconfig usb0 up && dhclient usb0

#39 2021-02-16 13:34:58

MysticLord

Solution
1. Open WICD, go to preferences, set wired interface to usb0
2. Su (or sudo) into a text editor (or terminal if you're so inclined) and add the following line to /etc/sysct.conf:

#fool T-M0bile into thinking you're actually a phone.
net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=65

You may need to add something similar for ipv6, if so the solution is on the internet.
3. Open your favorite web browser that allows one to override the user agent, add a new string to about:config:

general.useragent.override "string"

4. Change "string" to whatever your phone's web browser says it's user agent is. Try to use the same web browser on your phone as you use on your computer for this purpose, or a similar one.
5. Don't use more than 60 GB of data per month.

**** you T-M0bile, and **** your deep packet inspection too.

If you don't do this, you will only be able to hotspot as much data as your service provider allows you to, regardless of the plan you purchased.

Last edited by MysticLord (2021-02-16 13:37:56)

Board footer