The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 20:49:40

l_orontius

Greetings and some questions

Hello, there!

I am a relative newcomer to GNU+Linux; I have used Debian before, but due to some problems with systemd I decided to switch to Dev1. So far everything has gone smoothly, no problems. I would like to know if there is any way I can help the community and do my bit for the development of Dev1.

I would also like to know, how did you learn about how GNU+Linux works? And on another note, I was looking at security in GNU+Linux, but the guides I found are focused on servers and not on desktop users. Could you tell me how to start on the subject of security?

Have a happy day, everyone.

Best Regards,
Lucrecio Orontius

#2 2020-02-09 20:57:01

Ron

Re: Greetings and some questions

l_orontius wrote:
And on another note, I was looking at security in GNU+Linux, but the guides I found are focused on servers and not on desktop users. Could you tell me how to start on the subject of security?

Here's a link for a write-up on security. It's focused on Ubuntu and Mint, but a lot of what's written can apply to any distro.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c … urity.html

Last edited by Ron (2020-02-09 21:29:23)

#3 2020-02-10 20:19:38

steelpillow

One thing that users can always get into is improving documentation. This is also a great way into understanding whatever it is you are documenting!

I learned GNU/Linux mainly by being a dumb user for several decades and having to solve problems (which on other OS were just not solvable). I also had some very basic UNIX skills to transfer and bought a lot of Linux mags for a couple of years (most of which eventually ended up in a Buddhist monastery somewhere, but that is another story).

Security is mostly focused on servers, for the simple reason that they are more attractive; they tend to be relatively stable, up 24/7, and can offer rich pickings. Clients have such a diverse ecology of distros and configurations, and a tendency to upgrade/shop around, never mind shut down and restart every day, that automated exploits are next to useless. Targeted attacks on specific users (spy vs. spy, etc.) are pretty much restricted to a large subset of those server skills.

But there are some things you can do/avoid to make sure your system stays that way, and a link introducing these has already been provided.

Last edited by steelpillow (2020-02-10 20:22:25)

— Cheers

#4 2020-02-11 10:28:03

Camtaf

I would like to know if there is any way I can help the community and do my bit for the development of Dev1.

I would also like to know, how did you learn about how GNU+Linux works?

Advocacy is the easiest way for a beginner, along with the suggestion of improving documentation.

Learn to use the command line, that is where you will start to learn Linux. smile

#5 2020-02-11 16:57:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

l_orontius wrote:

how did you learn about how GNU+Linux works?

Use Arch Linux for a while, no hand-holding there. Linux From Scratch is also good as long as you attempt to actually understand what you're doing rather than just copy&pasting the commands from the book.

And helping out in forums is great for developing knowledge & troubleshooting skills.

l_orontius wrote:

how to start on the subject of security?

Debian's guide is a bit dated now but it has some useful tips and applies to Devuan as well:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu … ian-howto/

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2020-02-12 02:33:21

ChuangTzu

a bit outdated but still useful: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu … ian-howto/

Learned the most from Slackware and Debian.

Board footer