The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 05:02:53

Kiwi Rider

[SOLVED] Radeon HD 6950?

Hi there,

I have been using Devuan on my laptop for a while, but am wanting to take things a bit further.

I have a machine with a Radeon HD 6950 GPU which I've used for games, and would like to try out the Steam for Linux under Devuan.

I have downloaded the driver from AMD, but on install I get the error :

error: Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.19.2_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 (default:v2:x86_64:lib32:XServer 1.19.2_64a:none:4.9.0-6-amd64:)
Installation will not proceed.

I do not have money for more hardware so changing GPU is not an option. I'd either like to bring X up to a later level OR find an alternative driver for the GPU, don't care which.

I am not entirely a newbie, but I am very far from being an expert. I am comfortable with CLI. As Devuan was only installed on this machine earlier today I am happy to make other changes including installing from scratch.

Thanks for help and apologies if my searches have missed an answer already posted.

EDIT: I used the generic Linux driver package from AMD, NOT the Ubuntu or other versions.

Last edited by Kiwi Rider (2020-02-02 00:37:00)

#2 2020-02-01 10:40:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Radeon HD 6950?

Kiwi Rider wrote:

Radeon HD 6950 GPU

That should be supported by the stock radeon(4) driver, have you installed the firmware? That might provide acceptable performance.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-02-02 00:36:03

Kiwi Rider

Re: [SOLVED] Radeon HD 6950?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Kiwi Rider wrote:

Radeon HD 6950 GPU

That should be supported by the stock radeon(4) driver, have you installed the firmware? That might provide acceptable performance.

Thanks! I'd somehow missed the "firmware" one during my hunts in the software manager (generally use aptitude out of old habit), which is why I was getting so lost.

It is working well enough now, can't give it a full test till next weekend probably. Hoping to get Steam working on it, then get the windows games I still sometimes play going on  there.. Then I'm rid of the twin evils of systemd and windows! smile

[EDIT] Also has fixed an issue with the Steam client where it was failing to launch due to libDRM and/or other issues, and also the "software rendering" warning from Cinnamon (thought I'd try it, normally prefer Mate) has gone.

So again, thanks!

Last edited by Kiwi Rider (2020-02-02 00:53:34)

Board footer