The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-14 01:20:57

avbox

Fastest and newest AVMultimedia ever...

And again there is a release of AVMultimedia. After "hard" almost two weeks of work there are the following innovations:

- Kernel 5.3.11
- ZSTD compression (ISO approx. 20% smaller)
- Start up approx. 20 percent faster (<10 seconds)
- New init process (only 100 lines of code)
- Super small initrd file (2.5 MByte)
- Squashfs4.4 (static in initrd)
- Entire file system in one file (avmulti.os)

AVMultimedia includes about 6 GB of software that is fully configured. On a slow atom tablet, the system now starts in 15 seconds (includes installation), about three times as fast as a few months ago. On faster computers, setup times (installation is not necessary) of less than 10 seconds are seen, virtualized times of 7 to 8 seconds could also be measured to set up the entire system.

The release includes the following part of software: Iridium, Firefox, Kodi, Gcompris, LibreOffice, Scratch (native on desktop), Gimp, Scribus, MyPaint, FontForge, Inkscape (incl. Sozi), Remmina, OBS, Flowblade, ASunder, VLC, MPV, Audacity, MuseScore2, Rosegarden, Kdenlive, QMapShack, Caja and much more tools... All this is ready after some seconds what you normally need hours to install. Just give it a tray!

Have a good time!

Download:
https://de.osdn.net/projects/avmultimedia/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/archivista/

P.S: If you understand German, there is a lecture from linuxday.at 2019:
https://peertube.luga.at/videos/watch/9 … 1fa269e819

Last edited by avbox (2019-11-15 23:20:56)

#2 2019-11-15 20:51:44

avbox

Re: Fastest and newest AVMultimedia ever...

Hi zephyr

I'm a bit wondering why you put it on a AVMultimedia thread? But anyway, I downloaded it and tested it:

star-kirk-2.1.0-xfce-amd64-live.iso
crowz_2.1.0_ascii-ob-amd64.iso

First of all, all live modes (menu entries) do not work, I had to install it. After several minutes, I get a very minimalistic desktop. The browser is epiphany 3.22.7, which is a small browser. Unforunately I was not able to watch videos. As default web search there is startpage.com activated. Startpage.com I did not know, and yes, I will think about to include it on AVMultimedia.

As stark-kirkcrowz is rather small (about 500 MB), there is not a lot of software available. Adding software is pritty difficult because under /etc/apt/sources.list ony the iso/cdrom is activated. This does mean that adding software for an average user is nearly impossible.

So I had a look at Office and did find a link to 'Google Docs'. Are you serious? The second link points to zathura, should be a simple office viewer.

My question to you is the following: What do you want to give us as an information. Is this a modern linux desktop in 2019? Can it be installed by a non experienced user? Why do you put it in this thread? Had you had a look at AVMultimedia?

Last edited by avbox (2019-11-15 23:20:21)

#3 2019-11-15 22:01:02

fsmithred
Administrator

Above all else, confusion reigns
And though I ask, no one explains
                    - Procol Harum

Zephyr - Would you please re-post in a new thread or one of your older ones?
Avbox - Your review of Star Kirk belongs in Ozi's Star Linux thread. Star is not Crowz.

Thanks.

#4 2019-11-15 22:59:45

avbox

I downloaded the iso from sourceforge.net, if I click right mouse, then the menu does appear with the name 'CROWZ'.

Sorry, wrong was indeed the name, I did not test star-kirk-2.1.0-xfce-amd64-live.iso (there the live mode works), the file I checked was/is:

crowz_2.1.0_ascii-ob-amd64.iso

Yes, discussion can/should be in a thread of Crowz, but as it was putted here, so I replied here. But for me, It can be moved, no problem.

Last edited by avbox (2019-11-15 23:39:51)

#5 2019-11-16 00:08:07

zephyr
Website

avbox wrote: Why do you put it in this thread? Had you had a look at AVMultimedia?

Post deleted! Why? An error!  crowz-screen works and finding the software a user wants is readily available, repos list is in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list. Star and Crowz are minimalist distributions by design, we do not include the kitchen sink! Simply allow the user to decide!

I'm ok with you not liking Crowz or Star, that is your prerogative. Have not tried your distro.

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2019-11-16 00:23:33)

#6 2019-11-16 18:30:59

avbox

Star and Crowz are minimalist distributions by design, we do not include the kitchen sink! Simply allow the user to decide! I'm ok with you not liking Crowz or Star, that is your prerogative. Have not tried your distro.cheers

It was/is not the question if I like it or not. I just did put out points I did see. It is up to you what you do with it. But, if you have to add repository manually, I don't think this is a wise decision.

I have nearly every week an eye to other distros, especially if they are Devuan based. What I would wish to the Devuan project in gerneral (not to your project in special) is, don't be so 'technically'.

It might be that "my" way is too far away from standard distros (AVMultimedia has no setup at all), but I really think things should be much easier for people tu use Linux.

Last edited by avbox (2019-11-16 20:51:24)

#7 2019-11-28 21:54:46

avbox

There is another new release of AVMultimedia, you now can change monitor resultion with Alt+Ctrl+F11 (lower) and Alt+Ctrl+F12 (higher).

#8 2019-12-03 22:30:33

avbox

Fixing a bug that was introduced by sizing down perl part of installer /install1.pl. User setted password was not loaded after restart, now this does work.

Board footer