The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-31 19:02:30

spartrekus

Could the great, famous, FVWM95 put back into the DEVUAN repositories?

Hello,

Some about 10 years ago, there was a great, famous, FVWM95. It was installed very often when KDE waas not installed. Slackware had it into the repositories has a major WM.

The code can be easily compiled.
https://github.com/rn10950/FVWM95-Updated

But but the very very plus plus is that FVWM95 takes NO MEMORY. It is almost as light as tinywm, ctwm or evilwm.

There is a difference between installed a vast memory taker such as KDE. Plus if you want to do web, just use Firefox. Likely your system will be already running slow. That's the joy of modern systems compared the fast ones of 10-15 years.

Hence, does it make sense to bring back and to maintain something that was Good, really: FVWM95.

#2 2017-06-01 09:14:48

FOSSuser

Re: Could the great, famous, FVWM95 put back into the DEVUAN repositories?

FVWM95 was a way of getting Windows95 users feeling comfortable on Linux, I think most newbies now realise that Linux isn't Windows. smile
TWM should still be available if you don't want to add another WM, but Fluxbox, Openbox, JWM, or IceWM tend to be better options for a few extra MBs.

#3 2017-06-01 14:41:19

fsmithred
Administrator

It's already in the repo. Install fvwm, click on the desktop to get a menu and select fvwm95 setup (or something like that - it's gone now that I've run it.) You'll get a crude looking wizard that lets you choose some options. I took the defaults, and now my window title bars are win95 blue.

For a more modern look, there's also fvwm-crystal. There's also fvwm1. I didn't try that. I assume that it's more retro than retro.

#4 2017-06-01 16:17:24

apprentice

@ spartrekus
some ideas?

#5 2017-06-01 20:55:04

Bad Sector

Fvwm1 looks like Motif Window Manager and that was probably because MWM was proprietary when Fvwm1 was made. However these days MWM is free software and you can install it with `apt install mwm`. Feature-wise both are very lightweight, but MWM is slightly better if for no other reason than supporting alt+tab.

If you want Win95-like look, there is also QVWM - http://ahinea.com/en/tech/qvwm/

#6 2017-06-02 04:42:33

spartrekus

Bad Sector wrote:

Fvwm1 looks like Motif Window Manager and that was probably because MWM was proprietary when Fvwm1 was made. However these days MWM is free software and you can install it with `apt install mwm`. Feature-wise both are very lightweight, but MWM is slightly better if for no other reason than supporting alt+tab.

If you want Win95-like look, there is also QVWM - http://ahinea.com/en/tech/qvwm/

QVWM is really amazing. The problem is that it is not into the repositories of Devuan, with little interests from users of large community having Ubuntu or Debian, for a non-shining Windows 95 window manager. This mean,... that this project will be know and in some years probably abandoned. Likely, after some time, the libraries will not longer be compatible... Who care about Win95 environment?
- Actually, this a nice standard and simple to use for everyone. Too, it can be considered as free and basic, as motif is.

Last edited by spartrekus (2017-06-02 04:42:55)

Board footer